BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
letminho
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Im looking at an old code that uses that seemingly uses the # number sign symbol but I cannot figure out what its function is and it does not seem to exist on the internet.

For example, A = X#Y is something close to what I am seeing.

Could be be an old language/syntax that is no longer being used? I am relatively new to SAS and not familar if there was even an old syntax.

I really need to know as soon as possible, THANKS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

What is the context? What procedure is being run?   In PROC IML (formerly PROC MATRIX if we are going back to the '80s), the # operator denotes elementwise multiplication. See the article "Ways to multiply in the SAS/IML language."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

Without seeing more code or possibly some input / output of the result the following is a complete guess:

Font change

It may be that the original code was stored in a different font, possibly on a mainframe, and when transferred to another system the font encoding didn't quite work.

In a longer shot, if the code is old enough or from some shop then the # could have been an Editor directive which would behave somewhat like a SAS macro but was used in an editor external to SAS.

If the place in the code looks like exponentiation was involved then it may have been a ^.

If the code with # involves Input or Put statements then the # is used to indicate either the line to read from or column to print to but would not normally occur in calculations.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

What is the context? What procedure is being run?   In PROC IML (formerly PROC MATRIX if we are going back to the '80s), the # operator denotes elementwise multiplication. See the article "Ways to multiply in the SAS/IML language."

letminho
Calcite | Level 5

I believe this is what is happening in my program! Thank you so much Rick!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation