BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Reeza
Super User

As to how they open it, if they don't know that and you don't know that why are you giving them a large text file?

lola
Calcite | Level 5

1KB is = to 1000 bytes, from what I understand. Why is because this is inherited code that I am being directed to run without guidance. "This is how they have always done it." Just a tad frustrating. Getting guidance from a forum is new to me, so I appreciate all assistance. Thanks! Oh and running in windows. Yes, to running a test file, I thought that as well since it is run now as a null dataset.

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

You will have two general approaches:

1. To break it up. In linux, just use split command. In windows, there are several utilities free for you to download, such as HJSplit.

2. Look for a text viewer or editor than can 'stream' in text content instead of loading them into memory once for all. There are also many options, I have used Ultraedit to open 700M text file before, and you can also check out "large text file viewer" (yes, that is the literal name) or EmEditor etc.

Good Luck,

Haikuo

lola
Calcite | Level 5

Ok! Thanks. I will reread this and follow. Good direction! Appreciate...

lola
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Notepad++ and UltraEdit if working on Windows.

head -number_of_lines and/or tail -number_of_lines on UNIX to inspect the contents, split to split the file into digestable pieces.

Which application is used by the "institutions" to process the file?

lola
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Kurt. Looking at the brief notes for this program, this is MACRO data, and one receiver is Library of Congress. It is imperative I explore every aspect possible for delivering this data, upon request.

Ksharp
Super User

I will use Reeza 's proposal . Using OS command to view the large txt file. if OS is UNIX/Linux/FreeBSD.... similar UNIX OS:

> more /etc/hda1/have.txt

Type  q  to quit browse .

lola
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Xia.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 17 likes
  • 9 in conversation