Swapping between Local server and Unix server in SAS EG

Contributor

Swapping between Local server and Unix server in SAS EG

Hi all

I would like to know if we have any way to work with Local server and Unix server inside the same session using SAS Enterprise Guide. I need to do this WITHOUT using SAS CONNECT as we don't have SAS CONNECT installed on the local machine..

We need to do reporting by combining some files in the local Windows machine and some SAS datasets in the Unix server. I understand that we have an option of FTP ing the local file to Unix and then achieve this purpose. However I would like to know if we have a way to do that by working on a Unix server and Local server at the sametime.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Super User

Re: Swapping between Local server and Unix server in SAS EG

You can with BASE SAS.

1. Are you combining local files with the files on the server or local files with local files and server files with server files?

Contributor

Reeza,

I need to combine a local file with the SAS datasets residing on the server.

Frequent Contributor

Had a similar problem and bottom line is no but you can get the 'Copy Files to/from SAS Server' task from the SAS for Dummies website (it's free and very easy to use).

By using the task to upload to server and then another one to download you will be able to do what you're after and automate it ie no manual ftp'ing.

Contributor

I am aware of that. But is it possible to run 'Copy File to/from SAS Server' task in  batch mode?

As far as I remember it was a dll file that we need to put inside SAS installation folder and it needs to be accessed via Menu.

Frequent Contributor

Never tried to run in batch mode. All I can say is you add it as a step in your project so I don't see why not. You don't have to add it each time, I have many projects that use it to both upload and download data and I just open the project and submit.

Respected Advisor

Why don't you try and write the file in your local SAS session to a network drive accessible to both your local machine and the Unix server (if there is such a drive)?

Else: If you want to "productionise" your reporting and run it in batch then it would imho best to push all of the processing to the Unix server. Eventually have your "local" data on a network drive and - if not mountable on the Unix server - find a way to "ftp get" the data from this location.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation