BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JVarghese
Obsidian | Level 7

What are the desirable skills in SAS for a statistician in any industry?

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

This is a very broad question, probably impossible to answer as stated. Could you be a little more specific?

--
Paige Miller
JVarghese
Obsidian | Level 7

I am looking forward to joining  MSc statistics program. Right now, I am kinda troubled in focussing in any particular industry. I have interest in Healthcare and finance.

Currently working towards a base sas programming certification. In spite of the fact that I am unaware of the work environment and other job related specifics within a particular industry, I would be curious to know of the core skills to be attained in SAS to start off with. Since technology and solutions keep changing, I would be more interested   in those key areas which I must be proficient with, at any point of time. Please advice me as you are a statistician.Tell me of areas where a statistician uses SAS more.Also tell me other skills apart from SAS please. Thank you very much for your help.

JVarghese
Obsidian | Level 7

I am looking forward to joining  MSc statistics program. Right now, I am kinda troubled in focussing in any particular industry. I have interest in Healthcare and finance.

Currently working towards a base sas programming certification. In spite of the fact that I am unaware of the work environment and other job related specifics within a particular industry, I would be curious to know of the core skills to be attained in SAS to start off with. Since technology and solutions keep changing, I would be more interested   in those key areas which I must be proficient with, at any point of time. Please advice me as you are a statistician.Tell me of areas where a statistician uses SAS more.Also tell me other skills apart from SAS please. Thank you very much for your help.

MicheleReister
SAS Employee

Hello,

Here is a list of skills recommended by one of our SAS training instructors:

• Quantify the data and understand the problem or challenge at hand.
  • Be able to select the appropriate analysis.
  • Write SAS code to address the issue.
  • Produce adequate graphical and numerical output in response.
  • Interpret the results using contemporary references.
  • Be able to explain those results to lay people.

As you can see, this is a more "general" list of skills, besides bullet #3 - being able to write the SAS code to address the issue. By preparing for the Base SAS Programming certification credential, you are preparing yourself to write SAS code. The other skills will come with exposure to and practice with real business cases.

You may want to consider some additional training: SAS Training - Find a Course: Learning Paths

Many of our courses are applicable across industries (healthcare and finance included). You can always chat with one of our Training Curriculum Consultants who can help you choose the right path to meet your goals. They can be reached at training@sas.com. Good luck in your endeavors.

JVarghese
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you Michele

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation