Stand alone version on virtual machine installation

New Contributor

Stand alone version on virtual machine installation

hello

i have a sas 9.4 stand alone version.i want to know whether it is possible to install it on a virtual machine on my laptop?

Super User

Re: Stand alone version on virtual machine installation

Yes.

Super User

To be a little more specific your VM must provide one of the supported operating systems for SAS 9.4:

SAS Supported Operating Systems

Is there any particular reason for using a VM such as your laptop does not have a supported main operating system? Also note that performance will not be as good in a VM.

Super User

Actually, some computers aren't allowing VMs to run at all without modifying BIOS setting.

There's a few threads in SAS UE regarding the issue.

Generally, the answer is yes. But I'm sure that's not what the OP is referring to in his question. I just don't know what he's asking, the question is too vague.

New Contributor

my VM is working correctly and so does the Windows 7 ultimate as os

Super Contributor

Check in the SAS installation folder in C or C:\Program Files

Try to type SAS in the windows search

Super User

When you install SAS make sure the box is checked for SAS Foundation or BASE SAS, though I think it's foundation now. Been a while since I've done an install. You may need to reinstall.

Valued Guide

Reeza, you are right with the question is too vague.

There is however a situation tis question would be applicable. That is in bigger organization running by closed desktop systems.

The closed desktop is maintained as a service for normal users. To allow new middleware (like a SAS installation) to be developed better named as to be integrated in that closed desktop a virtual machine is often offered for that.
This will left open the issues for eg office integration as that one requires dedicated actions to be opened/allowed.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Super User

Oh I agree running SAS on a VM is useful. At home I run SAS on a VM, because I have a Macbook. And I run SQL Server on a different VM Smiley Happy

New Contributor

i'm running  linux as my os and my sas version is a windows based one.so i have installed a virtual machine with windows 7 ultimateX64 and SP1  to be able to use SAS but sas base and sas/Stat are not viewed in Start button. the sas 9.4 is not shown . but other component and product like enterprise miner ,IML studio are visible

Valued Guide

hamedmirzaee The EM client and IML studio are JAVA applications running in virtual java machine (jvm). As the could be deployed by a copy-only approach there are no special Windows requitements.

SAS-base,  SAS/stat van be seen as part of SAS-base Foundation is a real Windows application (have "C" and more),  Eguide and AMO are using .Net com active-x etc.
The implies you are needing admin rights for updating the Windows machine. There are some dependicies on Windows versions (sys req's), mostly it will install.

Beware of settings dependent of the installer (admin) and your normal daily user as these should be segregated. In the old days there were several issues on that part, most of them should be fine these day-s.
With 9.4 there is a msi installer approach avoiding the bloat of the sdw. You may need the sdw because of our license,    

---->-- ja karman --<-----
New Contributor

thank you all

my major problem was that i thought my Windows 7 ultimate is X64 but really it was not .

i installed x64 on virtual machine and every thing is going well.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation