Specifying EDF option for longitudnal studies in PROC MIANALYZE

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Specifying EDF option for longitudnal studies in PROC MIANALYZE

Dear All,

I have a quick question, while using SAS proc mianalyze for a longitudinal data with 442 clusters each of size two,what should I specify in the option ( EDF=? ),which  I believe requests the adjusted degrees of freedom be used in the analysis?

proc mianalyze parms(classvar=level)=gmparms edf=?;

Thanks

Tasneem

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎06-06-2013 02:21 PM
Respected Advisor

Re: Specifying EDF option for longitudnal studies in PROC MIANALYZE

Is there an error degrees of freedom output anywhere in the output you got these estimates from?  I am starting think perhaps not, that everything is tested with a Wald chi-squared, which does not depend on the error degrees of freedom.  Anyway, with an exchangeable error structure for your GEE, you only have 442 subjects, so that is the number I would plug into your formula.  I would use 14 (number of parameters fit plus one [intercept doesn't count], ignoring scale), and obtain edf=424.

However, if I fit this in GLIMMIX, I would specify ddfm=KR2, and then use the value that comes up for denominator degrees of freedom (smallest value) minus 4.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

All Replies
Respected Advisor

Hi Tasneem,

The following formula is a good start: edf= Error degrees of freedom expected if dataset were complete, using the proposed model minus Number of values imputed.  You can get the first number by running a side calculation on the first imputation dataset.

Steve Denham

Contributor

Posted in reply to SteveDenham

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your response. As always, it's helpful but just to make sure I understand your formula correctly I was wondering if below is what you meant:

For the longitudinal data with GEE after imputing (at two time points)with total sample size (442*2=884), I have the below model and I imputed ACT, AQLQ, ASES, BMQ thus the

EDF = 442(or884?)-15(# of parameters estimated, should I count "scale"..since this is calculated by default)-4(the # of variables for which I imputed)

Also, a point to note is that in my study there are no missing values at t1 only at time t2 there are missing values..

I would really appreciate any comments and suggestions from you as well as the community.

Thanks

Tasneem

Obs      Imp      Parameter        Estimate          StdErr

1          1          Intercept          0.0229            0.8838

2          1          Gender            -0.3055           0.1828

4          1          Age Group      -0.2936            0.3878

5          1          Age Group       0.5481            0.1816

7          1          SES               -1.0081            0.5467

8          1          SES                0.4542            0.1854

10        1          Smoker            -0.7517           0.8320

12        1          Comorb1         -0.6721            0.2127

14        1          Comorb2         0.0690             0.2645

16        1          ACT                -0.1079            0.0254

17        1          AQLQ             -0.1824            0.0973

18        1          BMQ                0.0226            0.0154

19        1          ASES               0.1280            0.1229

20        1          ACT*ASES       -0.0390            0.0251

21        1          Scale                1.0000            0.0000

Solution
‎06-06-2013 02:21 PM
Respected Advisor

Is there an error degrees of freedom output anywhere in the output you got these estimates from?  I am starting think perhaps not, that everything is tested with a Wald chi-squared, which does not depend on the error degrees of freedom.  Anyway, with an exchangeable error structure for your GEE, you only have 442 subjects, so that is the number I would plug into your formula.  I would use 14 (number of parameters fit plus one [intercept doesn't count], ignoring scale), and obtain edf=424.

However, if I fit this in GLIMMIX, I would specify ddfm=KR2, and then use the value that comes up for denominator degrees of freedom (smallest value) minus 4.

Steve Denham

Contributor

Posted in reply to SteveDenham

Thanks a lot Steve that makes much senseSmiley Happy

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation