Spammers!

Super User

Spammers!

Hi ,

Is there anyone monitoring the SAS Support Communities over the weekend? The site is being targeted by spammers. Is it possible to block a member rather than removing the content by the member?

I'm trying my best to remove the discussions, articles & ideas, they seem to have a script as they are posting faster than I can remove :-(

Kind Regards,

Michelle

Grand Advisor

Re: Spammers!

+10

Grand Advisor

Can't find a real post . Smiley Sad

Super User

Thanks for addressing this s

Community Manager

Hi everyone --

We're aware of the situation.  We are taking steps to block them, and then clean up the unwelcome content.  Thanks for your patience.

Also, thanks for being diligent by reporting the spam messages -- that takes them off the "stream" and hides them from view.

Chris

Manager, SAS Online Communities

SAS Employee

Michelle, I'm so sorry - yes.. and I are working on this - we are also working with our IT department. They really got us but we believe we have it under control right now. We have some additional filters in place..

Lainie

Super User

Hi Lainie,

i appreciate all the efforts you, Chris and your IT team did to resolve this. It was a heavy malicious attack.

Thanks!

MIchelle

Community Manager

Thanks Michelle.  It's still ongoing, but we have some practices in place to help mitigate it.  Thanks for your diligence and patience.

Chris

Grand Advisor

They seem to be winning Smiley Sad

And smart enough to not post after they've been deleted or maybe its coincidence.

Esteemed Advisor

Sometimes I wish I had the ability to mark a userid as spammer, so the system can automatically move all its posts to the preliminary spam bin for the admins to clean out (or not).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Super User

I agree . it would be very handy to be able to mark an identity as a spammer. Is this possible within the underlying software /?

Respected Advisor

I am told by a colleague that the spammers are using Korean fonts - is there any way to block these by font type?

Respected Advisor

Totally agree. It takes quite a few clicks and screens to mark a single post as spam. I would like if there would be some automated process so that a user gets blocked once enough people mark stuff from this user as spam. ...but then how to protect against some malicious process which marks other innocent users as spammers using multiple identities? May be some weighting based on the user's status marking something as spam could help?

Respected Advisor

And now we're also having spams as "articles" which we can't mark as spam. And then it says "This version of the article is awaiting approval, and is therefore not yet visible to others."  Why do I see it then?

Community Manager

Thank you all -- for your ideas, your diligence, and your concerns.

Some details:

- These spammers are creating new IDs specifically for spamming,  They are not hijacking any existing accounts.

- There isn't a way for a community member (like yourselves) to mark a user as a spammer.  You can report only on the content.

- However, it's very easy for us to identify the pattern of abuse and then disable the user. 

- Unfortunately, the spammers are adept at creating new accounts (it's easy for any person to create a SAS profile -- all you need is an e-mail address).  And the IP addresses the spammers use don't fit a pattern that we can easily block by range. 

Would it surprise you to learn that I have a SAS report that I run in SAS Enterprise Guide that shows the spammers among the legit users?  Here's a snap:

spamreport.png

We are taking steps to stem the tide of spam.  Believe it or not, the volume is down quite a bit from what we experienced this past weekend.  We are hoping that our continued actions (including your actions to report messages as Abuse and thus hide their content) will win the battle for us.

Thank you,

Chris

Ask a Question
Discussion stats