Something wrong with restarting Metadata Server

Contributor

Something wrong with restarting Metadata Server

Hi.I have a new problem about SAS Metadata Server.When I restart the Metadata Server,The error is like following picture:

QQ图片20141022140631.jpg

So I check the logs.I am told that the disk is full or the quota has been exceeded.

QQ图片20141022140821.png

this is my filesystem and the storage of /dev/sda2 is full.So I wanna ask how to solve this problem?

QQ图片20141022141243.pngM

Super User

Re: Something wrong with restarting Metadata Server

Change to the directory where SAS is installed, and then do "du -sk *" to find the subdir with the most data. Change into this directory, and then repeat that procedure until you run across a directory with big and/or lots of files in it.

You may either find that data was written there or you have accumulated lots of log files.

In the case of log files, you may either want to simply delete them or put them into archive for long-term storage, depending on your organization's security policies.

And then work through your configuration. "dynamic" directories (data, logs) should NOT reside in the root filesystem. 100% usage in root may render your UNIX server inoperable. (eg the system can't write login records into wtmp and therefore rejects logins).

I'd even go so far as to say that even the SAS SW installation should be on a device separate from root.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

thank you so much!

My SAS was not installed in the root filesystem.

It was installed in  /dev/sdb1 like the third picture.

I doubt that there was something existing in the root filesystem(eg like /tmp) when restarting the Metadata Server.I have already changeed the SASWORK to other storage,but the error was also existed.

Super User

But you should clearly check what has caused the filesystem full condition on / and /mnt/sas*. One of those is/was the showstopper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor

So you think the problem was about files system full?I already checked that there was no business on /mnt/sas*.So Should I delete some files from /?

Super User

A full root file system is always a very bad thing; as stated before, it can render your UNIX unresponsive and force you to reboot in maintenance mode.

So you must look for the reason of the 100% usage, and once you located the culprit, make sure that it does not happen again (HP-UX once had a very clever mechanism where only the superuser could write to a file system once it reached a certain treshold, usually 90%)

And any full file system will cause the app(s) using it to fail, so /mnt/sas* also need some checking to be done.

Contributor

By the way,can I redirect all the configurations which was default(such as SASWork)?

Is there some documents helping me to redirect that ?

Super User

You need to take a look at the SAS configuration tree. In UNIX systems you will find that as SAS in the home directory of the installation user.

Since we have the Enterprise Business Intelligence Server package installed, there is a subdir called ebiserver in SAS, which contains a Lev1 subdir. This Lev1 then holds all your important server contexts like SASMeta or SASApp. The configuration is built on a hierarchical model where config files deeper down in the tree include more global config files located further up, so you can easily change some basic values for a whole subtree.

Most often a problem with disk space is caused by the log files, so you should scan your config tree for the "Logs" (note the capital L) directories. Location of log files is mostly handled by the logconfig.xml files and/or the sasv9.cfg. sasv9_usermods.cfg is the place to put the directives for the location of the work and utilty directories.

Google will help you on issues like changing the logging location. Once you have a clue where your configuration is located (so we can tell you where to look from there) and what you want to change, I am sure you will find help here.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation