BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
huesocabeza
Calcite | Level 5

I used an SAS platformm 9 years ago that used the  Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm (SAS software (SAS 9.1.3 on a Service Pack 2 on a XP Pro Platform) that allowed to solve 12 simultanous equations for which there were more variables than equations.  Is this platfrom still available? 

Examples:

DVK =  [Dk3 + b*(Dk5 + a)/(1 + b(1+a)   = 1.5

DKac =  [Dk5 + c + Keq3*b*c]/[1 + c + Keq3 + bc + Keq5(1+d)]  = 1.4

Kac = k7Keq3Keq5/[1 + c + Keq3 + bc + Keq5(1+d)] = 400

etc

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

Do you happen to know the PROC?

I suspect its in SAS/OR so it's likely available but the question is usually do you have a license for it. 

Not sure what you're doing but you can explore the lastest versions of SAS as an independent learner, ie no commercial usage at SAS Analytics U

ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

This is not really my field but it looks like Proc Calis might be worth checking out https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_calis_sect0...

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Any code using SAS procedures that was written 10 (or 20 or more) years ago will still work in the latest versions.

Unlike most programmimng languages.

ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

Tell me about it @ChrisNZ - earlier this year I had to fix some C# code which had broken simply by virtue of a new version .NET being installed; I eventually managed it but not before tearing out most of what little hair I have left...

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Anything from Microsoft is temporary and on borrowed time it seems.

Ctrl-F in outlook is no longer shortcut for Find for goodness's sake! They deserve to die now.

Even Python deprecates things in bulk. Sigh...

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

From the SAS/ETS documentation for proc model:

PROC MODEL features include the following: 
	SAS programming statements to define simultaneous systems of nonlinear equations 
	tools to analyze the structure of the simultaneous equation system 
	ARIMA, PDL, and other dynamic modeling capabilities 
	tools to specify and estimate the error covariance structure 
	tools to estimate and solve ordinary differential equations 
	the following methods of parameter estimation: 
		 ordinary least squares (OLS) 
		 two-stage least squares (2SLS) 
		 seemingly unrelated regression (SUR) and iterative SUR (ITSUR) 
		 three-stage least squares (3SLS) and iterative 3SLS (IT3SLS) 
		 generalized method of moments (GMM) 
		 simulated method of moments (SMM) 
		 full information maximum likelihood (FIML) 
		 general log-likelihood maximization 
	simulation and forecasting capabilities 
	Monte Carlo simulation 
	goal-seeking solutions 

and yes, proc model supports the Marquardt-Levenberg minimization method.

The SAS Forecasting and Econometrics forum community is devoted to SAS/ETS tools.

PG
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Be aware that "solve" in this instance is somewhat ambiguous. For example, if you have 15 variables for those 12 equations then you have a three-dimensional space of feasible solutions. If you are content to get any feasible solution, you can do an optimization: input the equations as nonlinear constraints and use a trivial objective function (such as the identity function).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation