BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

I’d like to assess the bias due to human mobility on the incidence rate of a rare disease, let’s say schizophrenia (SP). Incidence rate formula below shows that number of people who moved in (inflow) and moved out (outflow) of the study area units (county) would affect the incidence rate (for a single year in this example).

Incidence rate=new cases /number of people who don't have SP yet

Number of new cases, inflow and outflow is known. However, the risk of SP among movers is not known but its probability must range from 0 through 1. I’d like to run this simulation exercise in SAS.

I’d like to compute all possible value of number of people with SP among people moved out and moved out given risk of SP ranges 0-1 and also compute all possible values for Net=n of SP among moved in-n of SP among moved out. The result can be plotted as [SP risk among movers*bias in incidence rate] scatter plot. Just to clarify, if risk=1 for SP among movers then all who moved out and moved in would have SP.  

Can you please help what SAS procedure or statistics help run this simulation study? Any specific example or demo will be highly appreciated. I have never done it before.

Thanks for your precious time!

See attached is the sample data.

proc import datafile="...\support.csv"
out=data
dbms=csv replace;
guessingrows=max;
run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If you've never done it before, you might want to start by reading "Ten Tips for Simulating Data with SAS" (Wicklin, 2015)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Do you have a full license for SAS? If so, that likely includes SAS Simulation Studio, though it may not be installed.

You should verify that.

If you're going to program it in BASE, first read the paper by David Cassell - Don't Be Loopy, Simulation the SAS Way

And another good reference is Rick Wicklins book on Simulation.

Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13
Yes, I have a full license for SAS. Thanks for pointing out to the resources
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If you've never done it before, you might want to start by reading "Ten Tips for Simulating Data with SAS" (Wicklin, 2015)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation