Simulate normal data for HLM

Frequent Learner

Simulate normal data for HLM

I'm new to SAS and I have never simulated data before. For a project that I am currently working on, I'd like to simulate a normal and non-normal dataset for analysis with a simple hierarchical linear model. I would like to be able to compare the true parameters of the simulated datasets with the parameter estimates I calculate through analysis. I have read a lot of answers on this website and on others, but I still do not know how to proceed. Can anyone please point me in the right direction, or perhaps give me an example? I have no code to share because I do not know how to write it for the problem that I am trying to solve.

Thank you.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Simulate normal data for HLM

To compute a normal random variable you can use the following:

data sim;
do i=0 to <N>;
NormalVar = &Mean + &STD*rannor(<seed>);
output;
end;
run;

Replace <N> with the number of cases you desire and <seed> with some number for reproducibility of your results. You can assign any values you please to macro variables &Mean and &STD. Both of them are optional and, if you don't use them, your random variable will have mean=0 and STD=1.

You can then take a log, exponentiate or do some other transformation to make your normal variable be not normal.
Grand Advisor

Post it at IML forum, since it is about data simulation. Rick is there.

SAS Super FREQ

If you have never simulated data before, you might start by reading the paper "Ten tips for simulating data with SAS."

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation