BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vishal_prof_gmail_com
Obsidian | Level 7

In a Hypthesis testing why do we compare p value with Alpha. As per definition Alpha is probability of rejecting null hypothesis when it is true , how is this related to p value?

3 REPLIES 3
art297
Opal | Level 21

A fairly simple, but nice (I think) explanation of the relationship between the two can be found at:

What Is the Difference between Alpha and P-Values

vishal_prof_gmail_com
Obsidian | Level 7

I have gone through this articles. It says we compare p-value with alpha , but the reason why alpha is chosen as the threshold value is not explained.

art297
Opal | Level 21

I'm a Psychologist, not a statistician, thus I'll leave it to the statisticians to either verify or critique the statements.  However, that said, the following statement from the article I linked said: "The alpha value gives us the probability of a type I error. Type I errors occur when we reject a null hypothesis that is actually true. Thus, in the long run, for a test with level of significance of 0.05 = 1/20, a true null hypothesis will be rejected one out of every 20 times."

Why 0.05?  The article goes on to state: "Although in theory and practice many numbers can be used for alpha, the most commonly used is 0.05. The reason for this both because consensus shows that this level is appropriate, and historically it has been accepted as the standard."

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation