BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ivanpersie
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi there, i would like to have the different level of significance reported in my regression results. How do i do this stata? The second question is how do i report my regression results in Excel organised format.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

In statistics, you decide on the significance level BEFORE you run the analysis, and then you see if the data confirms or rejects various hypotheses at that significance level. It is considered "cheating" to run an analysis and then decide on the significance level after you see the results.

That said, in many procedures the p-values are reported as numbers like 0.0432.  That number is significant at the 0.05 level, but not significant at the 0.01 level.  For example, the parameter estimates table in PROC REG report p-values for the hypothesis that parameters are significantly different from 0.

@ivanpersie wrote:

Hi Rick, because am replicating a previous study and they  used t statistics. So i was wondering in SAS. how i tell the significance level for the t statistics rather than p value

Assuming that you know the degrees of freedom (DOF), you can use the QUANTILE function to invert the p-values to get the corresponding t-statistics:

data Signif;
dof = 20;
do alpha = 0.01, 0.05, 0.1;
   t = quantile("t", 1-alpha, dof);
   output;
end;
run;
proc print; run;

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

But these are not Stata forums.

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

Having no idea what "Excel organized format" might mean it is hard to answer that.

In SAS most procedures have an option of ALPHA= that control the significance level which usually defaults to 5%. How/where the option should be applied depends on the procedures. Often it goes on the procedure statement.

ivanpersie
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes i would like to report significance levels at 0.01 0.05  and 0.1 in the Proc reg statement. Is that possible

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

In statistics, you decide on the significance level BEFORE you run the analysis, and then you see if the data confirms or rejects various hypotheses at that significance level. It is considered "cheating" to run an analysis and then decide on the significance level after you see the results.

That said, in many procedures the p-values are reported as numbers like 0.0432.  That number is significant at the 0.05 level, but not significant at the 0.01 level.  For example, the parameter estimates table in PROC REG report p-values for the hypothesis that parameters are significantly different from 0.

@ivanpersie wrote:

Hi Rick, because am replicating a previous study and they  used t statistics. So i was wondering in SAS. how i tell the significance level for the t statistics rather than p value

Assuming that you know the degrees of freedom (DOF), you can use the QUANTILE function to invert the p-values to get the corresponding t-statistics:

data Signif;
dof = 20;
   output;
end;
run;
proc print; run;

ivanpersie
Fluorite | Level 6

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

data Signif;

dof = 20;

output;

end;

run;

proc print; run;

Reeza
Super User

Your significance levels are 0.01, 0.05, and 0.1. Your p-value is what you report.

IN comparing the p-value to a significane level you can determine if a result is significant.

As Rick explained above, the significance level is chosen ahead of time. 0.05 is commonly used in medicine, while 0.2 might be great in marketing.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation