BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Xusheng
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, I have a question about how to deal with each column using macro. Here is what the sample looks like:

datetimeintervalweekdayfj_dummyjumpsurec1surec2surus1surus2surus3suruk1 suruk2   
11/1/200409:00.02200  2     1   
11/1/200414:00.03200 1     3    
11/1/200419:00.04200  1   2     
11/1/200424:00.05200   4    1   
11/1/200429:00.06200          

For each time, I just want to deal with 'date','time','interval','weekday','fj_dummy','jump', and one of the rest of the columns. I only want to keep the observations that are non-missing and delete the missing observations. I realized I need to use macro since my whole sample is much bigger than the sample displayed here. I don't know within each 'ec','us','uk' category how to select the non-missing observations for each subcategory, which is 'surec1', 'surec2', etc.

If possible, can I export the files with macro for each subcategory and also keep  'date','time','interval','weekday','fj_dummy','jump' ? That is to say, in each file, I have date','time','interval','weekday','fj_dummy','jump' and one of the rests of columns. 

This is one of the csv files called EUR, I also have two other csv files with the same structure as this. So I'm wondering in this case, do I need more than one macro?

Here is the code I wrote, but I was stuck here for a long time. Any help would be appreciated.

%let path=E:\one_drive\OneDrive\RA\Jumps;					/*Set path*/
libname RA "&path";
%Macro news(cur);
PROC IMPORT OUT= RA.&cur._jump
            DATAFILE= "&path\Data\&cur._jump_news_abs1.csv" 
            DBMS=CSV REPLACE;
     GETNAMES=yes;
     DATAROW=2; 
RUN;
DATA RA.&cur._jump;
	set RA.&cur._jump;
	IF fj_dummy=0 THEN DELETE;	
RUN;
%Mend news;
%news (EUR);
%news (GBP);
%news (JPY);
%Macro currency(cur);
data RA.&cur._jump;
set RA.&cur._jump;
%macro surprise(cur,n_f,n_e);
%do i=&n_f %to &n_e;
IF sur&cur.&i.=. THEN sur&cur.&i.=0;
%end;
%mend surprise;
%surprise(ec,1,16);
%surprise(us,1,43);
%surprise(fr,1,3);
%surprise(ge,1,13);
%surprise(it,1,8);
%surprise(jp,1,3);
%surprise(po,1,2);
%surprise(sp,1,4);
%surprise(uk,1,13);
run;

%Mend currency;
%currency(EUR);
%currency(GBP);
%currency(JPY);

%Macro currency(cur);
%Macro country(con);
DATA RA.&cur._jump_sur&con.;
	set RA.&cur._jump;
	Keep Date time interval weekday fj_dummy jump sur&con.:;	
RUN;
%Mend  country;
%country(ec);
%country(us);
%country(fr);
%country(ge);
%country(it);
%country(jp);
%country(po);
%country(sp);
%country(uk);
%Mend currency;
%currency(EUR);
%currency(GBP);
%currency(JPY);

9 REPLIES 9
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I'm afraid your explanation of the desired result isn't clear.

and one of the rest of the column

Which one? you didn't tell us

I only want to keep the observations that are non-missing and delete the missing observations.

What is an observation that is non-missing in your example? I don't see one.

I don't know within each 'ec','us','uk' category 

There are no such categories that I can see

Show us, for this example data, what is the desired output. Type it in, show us.

--
Paige Miller
Xusheng
Obsidian | Level 7

Sure, 'one of the rest of column' means choose from 'surec1', 'surec2', 'surec3', 'surus1',' surus2', and so on.

where 'sur' means 'surprise', 'ec', 'us' are the code for different region or countries. 1, 2, 3 are the different categories within each country. I have 9 countries in total and within each country, I have different number of categories. The sample I attached was cut by the page so that's why the sample didn't help much in explanation. 

non-missing observations are the numbers in each column. the missing one are the blank cell in each column. The missing observations only appear under the column 'surec1', 'surec2' and so on.

The desired output would be as following.

datetimeintervalweekdayfj_dummyjumpsurec1surec2surus1surus2surus3suruk1suruk2
11/1/200409:00.02200 2    1
11/1/200414:00.032001    3 
11/1/200419:00.04200 1  2  
11/1/200424:00.05200  4   1
11/1/200429:00.06200       
Count     1210112
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Well I hope someone smarter than I am can figure out how to go from the inputs to the outputs.

In your original data, 11/1/2004 09:00.0, surec2 is blank, but in the output dataset surec2 is 2. 

My head hurts.

--
Paige Miller
Xusheng
Obsidian | Level 7

Sorry, I forgot to update my input file. Now it should make more sense. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I really have no idea what your question is, but it you want to produce that line labeled COUNT in the spreadsheet like thing you posted then you might look at PROC MEANS/SUMMARY.

proc summary data=have ;
  var sur: ;
   output out=counts n= ;
run;
Xusheng
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you, Tom. I will try that.

Xusheng
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Tom, the log erro shows 'surec1' in list does not match type prescribed. Do you know why does that happen?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

If you are reading this data in from Excel (or even sometimes if you are not), sometimes the columns that appear to us humans to be numbers are treated as characters values.

If that's the problem, you can force the columns to be numeric.

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Xusheng wrote:

Hi Tom, the log erro shows 'surec1' in list does not match type prescribed. Do you know why does that happen?

Sounds like the variable is character instead of numeric.  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation