BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
wbrian
Calcite | Level 5

Dear all,

I want to solve Ax=b for A. i.e. x and b are known vectors A is unknown matrix. Please can anybody let me know how to find the matrix A by proc iml..

Thank you in advanced.

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Try posting this in the IML Forum, as can give you a direct reference to the documentation or his blog where this has been discussed.

Steve Denham

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Did you mis-state the problem? Usually A and b are known and you need to find x.

As you've stated it, the problem has infinitely many solutions when x is not identically zero.

Since x is not all zeros, there is some element x_i which is nonzero. Construct the matrix A that is zero everywhere except for the i_th column, where it has the value b/x_i.

For example:

proc iml;
x = T(4:0);
b = T(1:3);

i=1;  /* for this problem x[1] is nonzero */

A = j(nrow(b), nrow(x), 0);
A[,i] = b/x;

diff = A*x-b; /* compute A*x - b */
print diff;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation