SAS software for Free?

Accepted Solution Solved
Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS software for Free?

I attended PharmaSUG in Chicago a few weeks ago.  In one of the presentations, I was told that SAS software version 5 is available for free (and that is apparently what FDA uses).  I have some friends and family members that have been asking how they can learn SAS without paying the large annual license fees.  I thought this would be a good way for them to at least dink around with SAS.   However, I cannot find anywhere where you can find SAS v.5.  Does anyone know how to obtain this, or if it is even true that it is free?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎08-13-2013 03:14 PM
Respected Advisor

Re: SAS software for Free?

The software is not free.  What is going on here is that the version 5 Transport File (.xpt) is essentially open source now, and is being widely used for CDISC, SDTM and SEND dataset submissions to the FDA.  That's probably how the subject came up.  Of course, this limits these files to eight character variable names and forty character labels, with the result being some of the most cryptic things you can imagine.  Take a look at the CDISC or SEND information guides some time.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

All Replies
Valued Guide

iirc v5 ran on mainframes

First sas on pc was v6

Solution
‎08-13-2013 03:14 PM
Respected Advisor

The software is not free.  What is going on here is that the version 5 Transport File (.xpt) is essentially open source now, and is being widely used for CDISC, SDTM and SEND dataset submissions to the FDA.  That's probably how the subject came up.  Of course, this limits these files to eight character variable names and forty character labels, with the result being some of the most cryptic things you can imagine.  Take a look at the CDISC or SEND information guides some time.

Steve Denham

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation