BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
michan22
Quartz | Level 8

Hi guys!

Please help me!

I have 106 subjects/observations and 16 numerical variables (var1-var16) with a date corresponding to each numerical variable (date1-date16). The date variables (and their corresponding numerical variables) are ordered so that older dates are placed last for each subject (e.g. subject 1 may have values in all 16 numerical and date variables with 16 being the oldest, subject 2 may only have 8 numerical and date variables with 8 being the oldest).

Now, I need to define a baseline_var that correspond to the numerical value with the oldest date for each subject. How can I program SAS to find this baseline value? 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

Arthur.T,

Use function coalesce(),no need array.

data have;
  infile cards truncover;
  input var1-var16;
  cards;
1 2 5 7 6
2 2 4 5
3 4 2 7 9
9 8 7 6 5 3 2 8 1
;

data want;
  set have;
 want=coalesce(of var16-var1);
run;

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
SASKiwi
PROC Star
date_min = min(of date1-date16);
format date_min date9.l 
Reeza
Super User

Assuming no ties, and this is untested. 

You can find the largest value using the MAX function and then the corresponding index using WHICHN. I've nested these, but you may need to separate out the calculations.

If you know that the last record is the largest and missing values are used for the renaming values you can also count how many missing values are present (NMISS). Then the largest index would be something like the commented out option.

array vars(*) var1-var16;
array dates(*) date1-date16;

index_largest = whichn(max(of dates(*)), of dates(*)); 
*index_largest = dim(vars) - nmiss(of vars(*));
*index_largest = 16 - nmiss(of vars(*)); value = vars(index_largest);

@michan22 wrote:

Hi guys!

Please help me!

I have 106 subjects/observations and 16 numerical variables (var1-var16) with a date corresponding to each numerical variable (date1-date16). The date variables (and their corresponding numerical variables) are ordered so that older dates are placed last for each subject (e.g. subject 1 may have values in all 16 numerical and date variables with 16 being the oldest, subject 2 may only have 8 numerical and date variables with 8 being the oldest).

Now, I need to define a baseline_var that correspond to the numerical value with the oldest date for each subject. How can I program SAS to find this baseline value? 

Thank you!

art297
Opal | Level 21

Obviously, a number of us are interpreting your question differently. I think the following is what you want:

data have;
  infile cards truncover;
  input var1-var16;
  cards;
1 2 5 7 6
2 2 4 5
3 4 2 7 9
9 8 7 6 5 3 2 8 1
;

data want;
  set have;
  array nums(*) var1-var16;
  do _n_=dim(nums) to 1 by -1;
    if not missing(nums(_n_)) then do;
      want=nums(_n_);
      leave;
    end;
  end;
run;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

michan22
Quartz | Level 8

Hi guys! thanks for all the advice!

Maybe this will clear up my question. So my dateset looks like this:

var1       date1      var2      date2      var3      date3       var4     date4      .......   var16    date16

200    08/09/16     300    05/02/16   400     06/10/15    500    01/20/15   .......    350     02/15/05

250    07/06/16     200    04/10/14

so for the 1st observation my baseline would be 350 because that's value corresponding to the oldest date, and 2nd observation would be 200 because that correspond to the oldest date.

I want the numerical value that correspond to the oldest date to be the baseline and I need to find this baseline for each subject.

Thank you!

art297
Opal | Level 21

That's precisely what the code I suggested does. The date variables are irrelevant as long as they are in date order.

Ksharp
Super User

Arthur.T,

Use function coalesce(),no need array.

data have;
  infile cards truncover;
  input var1-var16;
  cards;
1 2 5 7 6
2 2 4 5
3 4 2 7 9
9 8 7 6 5 3 2 8 1
;

data want;
  set have;
 want=coalesce(of var16-var1);
run;
michan22
Quartz | Level 8

Oh my gosh thank you! this is life changing!

Miracle
Barite | Level 11

By the way, why is this function called coalesce? Just out of curiosity so it will help me to remembering it more easier.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Ksharp
Super User
I don't know. Maybe read it literally .

art297
Opal | Level 21

My guess is that it comes from the original definition in computer science, namely: the merging of adjacent blocks of memory to fill gaps caused by deallocated memory

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 6 in conversation