BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jgautreau
Fluorite | Level 6

fiHi,

Can SAS open files with .log extensions using infile OR do i have to convert it to .txt (or .csv)?

Thanks, John

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

SAS log files are pretty much plain text so treat them as such. The extension doesn't matter.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I assume you're asking this question because you want to automatically scan SAS logs for certain messages. As states SAS logs are text files so it's easy to read them. It can be more challenging though to parse the log and extract the information you're after.

There is quite a lot of information in SAS Notes and Whitepapers around dealing with information retrieval from SAS logs and I suggest that you invest some kind in researching what's already around before starting to spend too much time with coding.

Below only 2 links which might be useful for you:

34301 - Parse SAS® Logs to Extract Performance and Timing Information

Base SAS(R) 9.3 Procedures Guide, Second Edition

jgautreau
Fluorite | Level 6

thank you - both response were helpful

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 3 in conversation