BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AngelaFan
Calcite | Level 5

I am having an issue with macro function. The SAS code works just fine when not used in the macro function.  Attached is the code for the first macro and the second macros is almost the same but with some more programming on a third variable the first macro does not have . 

When I run the first macro, it ran most of the time but sometime it does run and the log is just black line of codes.

When I run the second macro (not attached here), it did not run for most of the time, and it works mostly only if I close sas program and rerun the second macro without running the first one. And a lot of time it runs without stopping, which drives me crazy.

I would appreciate any help from anyone who had encountered the same problem like me. Thanks a lot. 

%macro Exam(Program);
%mend Exam;

%Exam(Program=XY);
%Exam(Program=UW);
%Exam(Program=ST);

%Macro Exam2(Program, Class);
%mend Exam2;
%Exam2(Program=ABC, Class=D);

20 REPLIES 20
art297
Opal | Level 21

Given the size of your code, I don't have time to review it carefully. However, a couple of points that you might want to address:

1. You use * comments. DON'T! They often will end up being part of the code, rather than the comment you were trying to insert. Instead use either %* comment OR /* comment */

2. Your macro appears to rely on some macro variables that are created outside of the macro. I try to include all such variables as parameters to the macro

3. When testing your macro, if often helps to set: options mprint mlogic symbolgen; Those option settings provide a lot of detail one needs to debug a macro

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

AngelaFan
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Sir. I can work on the comment part, but all the macro variables are specified in the very beginning so that I can use it throughout my code whenever I refer to a macro variable. I also appreciate the debug suggestion. I will give it a try. Thanks, 

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

I specifically used %mend with the macro name to tell sas please stop the corresponding macro. 

The word after mend is not useful to SAS, consider it a comment for yourself.

You may not like it, but the symptoms you indicate point to something not being closed properly, as you say.

Maybe it's due to some macro variables containing unbalanced quotes, or something similar. Who knows. You have to study the log now.

AngelaFan
Calcite | Level 5

I do not agree with you on that. lol~~~And I check log for every line of code. Thanks for the response. 

ballardw
Super User

Is the purpose of this code to read the second line of a data file for variable names so you can use Proc Import to read data?

If so try something like

data _null_;
   infile "&win5.\&Program._Input.txt";
   file "&win5.\&Program._Input2.txt";
   input;
   If _n_>1 then put _infile_;
run;

and use Proc import to read the _input2.txt version of the file.

If these files occur in the same layout(s) you would be better off writing a proper data step to read each layout where you control the variable names, format and informats. If you know what order the variables are then using the option firstobs=3 would read the first line of data.

AngelaFan
Calcite | Level 5

When the macro function runs, the data are read in properly. The second line is just all the variable names I want to extract and use later. Thank you for the response. 

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@AngelaFan

The macro you've posted doesn't use any SAS macro logic but it's just a way to call the same code multiple times passing while passing in a different parameter value. That will make it really simple to debug your code.

1. Put lines with %macro, %mend and %exam into comment

2. Add a %let Program=XY; at the top of your code

3. Now step through your program, issue one run group after the other from top to bottom and always check if the step returns the expected result.

It's much easier to debug SAS data step and Proc code than macro code. So get first this bit right before you wrap a macro around.

Just some things I've seen in your code:

1. I guess you want to use the automatic variable _n_ and not some variable _n

newname = trim((name))|| "_n";

2. An IN operator for a character variable requires a comma separated list of values in quotes. That's not what your Select Into will populate into &F1count.

proc sql noprint;
    select AppID
      into:F1count separated by " "  
    from F1examinees;
  quit;

***This is F1 data;
  data F1;
    set Pfile2;
    where NAME in (&F1count.);
  run;

AngelaFan
Calcite | Level 5

I made sure the macro function run with substituting variables. When I put it into macro and ran a second macro with almost the same code, it did not run or run sometimes. Very weird. Thank you for your response 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Patrick wrote:

2. An IN operator for a character variable requires a comma separated list of values in quotes. That's not what your Select Into will populate into &F1count.

proc sql noprint;
    select AppID
      into:F1count separated by " "  
    from F1examinees;
  quit;

***This is F1 data;
  data F1;
    set Pfile2;
    where NAME in (&F1count.);
  run;

If the variable NAME used in the WHERE statement is really character then you will need to quote the elements in the list.

select quote(trim(AppID))
  into :F1count separated by " "  
  from F1examinees
;

BUT the IN operator is SAS does NOT require commas between the elements in the list.  You can use commas if you want to but in general it will just make the macro variable harder to work with than if you used space as the delimiter.

Try it yourself.

AngelaFan
Calcite | Level 5
The base code works. Thank you.
ballardw
Super User

@AngelaFan wrote:
The base code works. Thank you.

What code?

You have removed all of the actual code so now no one can reference it.

Without code how can anyone suggest corrections?

AngelaFan
Calcite | Level 5
Because everyone is focusing on the code that works, so I delete the code.
When I macro the code, it does not work.
Astounding
PROC Star

First place I would look:  

What is in VARNAMES1?  And what gets written as the value of &COLNAMES?

If you have an extra variable or two in the incoming data, you can end up with a blank value for COL1.  That can throw off the logic of the RENAME list when creating PFILE.

AngelaFan
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your responses. The code works just fine. It is the macro which works funky. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 like
  • 8 in conversation