SAS in UNIX..Customarize SAS

Contributor

SAS in UNIX..Customarize SAS

Hi,

I have used sas 9.2,9.3 and Enterprise guide. Never used UNIX. Can anyone provide basic SAS commands. I am reading "SAS 9.2 companion for UNIX SAS".

I would like to customize my windows as PC SAS (All explorer, editor and log in same window). UNIX SAS gives me tough time, I don't like single window for explorer, editor, log etc.

Is there a way I can customize it in UNIX?

Thanks.

Valued Guide

Re: SAS in UNIX..Customarize SAS

Bob once in a time SAS was running on mainframes in just one window serving editor/output/log. That is the DMS approach. As of sas v6 becoming available on many other machines in a similar manner using terminal based access (SAS Foundation). Eguide replaced that DMS approach and can run at the same time sas process on different OS systems like Windown and Unix. That part is served by Integration Technologies. The metadata server is a further evolution of that.   Studio is a webbased approach using the same Integration Technologies interface. What you can do:

- Use Eguide (windows client) with Unix

- Use Studio (webbased) with Unix

- Go back to the old DMS approach using a terminal and X11.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

Well. I have recently joined this company and not sure, if I can install any other software/packages myself and IT is not much helpful. Rest of my colleagues don't like multiple windows either but I wanted to take initiative to look for solution. So that being said, I cannot install new software's and cannot access data sets from my shared drives or any network drives, so I cannot create libraries even if I install EG on my windows desktop.

Should I install Eguide/Studio/old DMS through UNIX. Can you pls provide some steps?

Super User

EG only runs on Windows, and SAS Studio is only available in SAS 9.3/9.4 - there is no installation required as it runs in a web browser. EG can access libraries/folders on Unix as all the SAS code would run on the Unix SAS server.

What SAS version are you using on Unix?

Contributor

I am using SAS9.2 in UNIX.

All I want is SAS in one window instead of many windows when I open in UNIX. I think, there should be a way to customize my SAS In UNIX?

Super User

The guide (PG21) shows a windowing environment similar to windows? Does your system not look like the diagram?

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostunx/61879/PDF/default/hostunx.pdf

Contributor

Yes Reeza, It looks the same but the windows are not attached to each other. Eg:Editor, log, explorer, output are all separate and we can't attach them together to one window.

Contributor

Reeza. Does the companion for UNIX 9.2 book has any settings to customarize SAS to single window in UNIX? I spend decent amount of time to get any information from the book but no luck. Please shed some light if you find any relevant settings information.

Thanks

Valued Guide

Very good Reeza using that manual and the many windows question, that seems to be the X11 windows manager behavior.

With a X-server running on Windows you can configure that (graphical terminal) the behave in a single Window or multiple Window. That is no SAS or Unix configuration nut the X11 terminal server settings.

The multiple Window is behaving more reliable as the X11-windows are managed by Windows (ms OS). You could configure the X11 server to behave in a single Windows (ms OS).

Tthe disadvantage are:

* is that all SAS-X11 windows has to be managed by some other windowsmanger in that  single window.  When that is not implemented in the graphical terminal (X-server) ot will not be possible. 

* experiences with that mode is having a less stable presentation (unwanted lockups hangs).      

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Contributor dkb
Contributor

As an example of what Jaap is referring to, if you are running MobaXterm on Windows to connect to a Unix box, the relevant settings are at

Settings / X11 / X11 server display mode

There you can choose between "Multiwindow mode" which uses separate windows for the SAS log, program editor, output etc., or "Windowed mode" where they are individual panes within a single window, plus a couple of other options that I haven't explored.

Contributor

I login to clients website and click on prod_xterm server to login to UNIX...Then I open my SAS. So where exactly I can changes the settings/ X11 to access single window SAS.

Contributor dkb
Contributor

"So where exactly I can changes the settings/ X11 to access single window SAS."

Are you running on a Unix workstation, a Windows PC, or something else? Tell us what software you are using to connect to Unix. The option will be in that software, not in SAS.

Contributor

DKB :           Yes. I login to my WINDOWS laptop and open clients website and "global citrix 6.5" and open "XTERM_PROD". Then UNIX window will open up, I type SAS in Unix, I get my all sas windows separately and work on. So What I understood is the option might be available in "global citrix 6.5"..Am I right?

Super User

You aren't telling us much info, but if you're remote accessing a Unix server, my guess is it's locked down and you get what you get.

You say prod_xterm - production terminal is my translation and how do you log on to SAS in the first place, click on something? Type a command?

Contributor

REEZA:       

Yes. I login to my WINDOWS laptop and open clients website and "global citrix 6.5" and open "XTERM_PROD". Then UNIX window will open up, I type SAS in Unix, I get my all sas windows separately and work on. IF i type in Emacs I get EMACS EDITOR window and can edit my program. Am I clear now?
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation