BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

If you have an enterprise installation of SAS, and are use SAS Studio as your interface will you lose access to system commands with the local machine?

I'm assuming DDE wouldn't work as well, but if someone could confirm that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PS. Yes I know DDE is old technology Smiley Very Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Since SAS Studio (to my knowledge) is 100% web based, I can't see how interaction with local programs can possibly work.

What do you want to achieve?

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Since SAS Studio (to my knowledge) is 100% web based, I can't see how interaction with local programs can possibly work.

What do you want to achieve?

Data never sleeps
Reeza
Super User

We have a bunch of reports that rely on exporting analyzed data to Excel and then executing a bunch of excel macros and vbs.  

Excel Macros - used to export Excel report to PDF

VBS used to combine PDF's from various processes.

We can probably script it all in another language, but it was nice being able to control the full analysis from SAS. 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Only you know what your XL macro/vbs stuff does. My personal opinion is that reporting/analyze logic is better maintained in a centralized BI infrastructure (like SAS Smiley Wink).

As you there are many options to create/modfy Excel spreadsheets, and produce pdf files. Whether it's possible/worth the effort to convert the existing logic, I have no idea.

Data never sleeps
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I would agree with @LinusH.  

There is however another way of doing it.  Currently your pushing data from SAS, and then pushing commands out from SAS.  You could reverse the second half of this.  Push the data out from SAS as plain CSV.  Then in your Office documents, pull that data in.  Should be a pretty straight forward, OnOpen() macro function to pull in CSV data to a spreadsheet, or you could have it as a macro on a separate Excel file.

I would question why you are going from SAS to Excel to VBA to PDF?  Sounds a bit "around the houses" type approach.  A quick analysis of the complete process should yield a far better more robust system. 

Reeza
Super User

@RW9 wrote:

A quick analysis of the complete process should yield a far better more robust system. 

It wouldn't be quick, but thanks for the suggestion. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation