SAS (SAS Enterprise Guide) Add-in for MS Excel showing only deault libraries and datasets

Contributor

SAS (SAS Enterprise Guide) Add-in for MS Excel showing only deault libraries and datasets

Hi,

I have a question about SAS (installed on Server) Add-in for MS Excel (installed on client).

I have recently set up a SAS Add-in for MS Excel but I have a small problem with it.

When I import a dataset as follows:

SAS ---> SAS-Daten

then a window appears with title "SAS Datasets search". Now I can browse for datasets but I can only see the SAS default libraries and dataset. Even if i create a new dataset in WORK library I can not see it through Excel. But actully the newly created dataset in WORK libraray exists and I can work with it in side SAS.

I shall be thankful for any help.

ehsan

Frequent Contributor

Re: SAS (SAS Enterprise Guide) Add-in for MS Excel showing only deault libraries and datasets

Posted in reply to ehsanmath

Hello ehsan,

I believe your Excel-Add-In will only show data tables that are registered in the meta data. Therefore you only find the 'default' libraries and tables.

If you create a new table make sure you create it in a library that is aready registered (let us call it 'default') and at best also register the new table with the meta data.

(This might probably help SAS(R) 9.4 Language Interfaces to Metadata, but there are other methods to register metadata, like through a wizard from Enterprise Guide)

Also I think there is a missunderstanding with the WORK-Library.

Unless you are using SAS9.4 your work-lib will only be valid for the current session with the front end that you are currently using.

So if you create a table in work from an Enterprise Guide Session then you cannot read it from another Excel-Session or even from another Enterprise Guide Session or vice versa.

Now SAS9.4 adds the option to keep the tables in your work-lib inbetween sessions, but I am not familiar with this.

Let us know how you were able to proceed :-)

Cheers Michael

Super User

Re: SAS (SAS Enterprise Guide) Add-in for MS Excel showing only deault libraries and datasets

Please be aware that the Excel SAS Add-in works within its own SAS server session so this session has it's own unique WORK library that is not the same WORK library you have in a separate SAS or EG session. If you want to share a SAS dataset created in a SAS session with the Excel SAS Add-in you will need to store it in a permanent library.

Depending on how your SAS libraries are setup in the SAS metadata, you should be able to see exactly the same libraries and datasets in the SAS Add-in.  

Contributor

Hallo Michael,

you are right. The metadata need to be registered.

thanks for help

ehsan

Frequent Contributor

Hi ehsan,

I'm glad, I could help! :-)

Have a nice weekend!

Michael

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation