BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vijayanand
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am currently doing the pre study of migrating a SAS platform which is set up in WINDOWS(2012 R2) to WINDOWS (2012 R2) itself but in a different data centre. It has a BI setup (metadata server , webserver) as well.

As the OS is same , can I assume that 

Whatever the SAS code running in source would be running in target as well with out any errors.

Metadata can be exported from SMC and import it in the target platform.

Data in the source can as such be migrated on to target

Any other points that I should consider.

Thanks,

Vijayanand.

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What SAS versions are you migrating from, and migrating to? If these are different then the SAS Upgrade page is a great resource:

http://support.sas.com/software/updates/index.html

For the migration part check out the Migration Focus Area: http://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/

Don't assume your code will run without error on your target platform - always test it. That is true whether or not you are changing SAS versions or OS's. It is pretty common to have something different or left out so your migrated code fails. Only by running your code will you know your target system is good. I would also advise comparing source and target datasets, at least the ones you have run code on, as well to confirm they are the same (PROC COMPARE is great for this). 

vijayanand
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the quick response.

The SAS version remains the same on both source and target platforms (it is 9.4). 

I agree that TESTING should happen  and it takes a major role in deciding that the migration is successful.

My question earlier was, should I make any changes in the code post migration, before testing (i'm sure we would come to know in testing  whatever is missed out). However , would like to document the changes before hand.

Thanks,

Vijayanand.

maggiem_sas
SAS Employee

Watch out for hardcoded values such as pathnames.

If you are upgrading to a newer maintenance release of SAS 9.4, then see SAS® 9.4 Guide to Software Updates.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

There is no harm in running your migrated code unchanged to identify where there are any problems.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Just to be sure: 64 bits SAS to 64 bits?

Otherwise you'll have issues.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

> My question earlier was, should I make any changes in the code post migration, before testing (i'm sure we would come to know in testing  whatever is missed out). However , would like to document the changes before hand.

IF the OS and the SAS versions and the paths are the same, there is no change to make a priori. If not, you need to modify the code to cater for the known changes.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation