BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sameer112217
Quartz | Level 8

I am interesting in learning high quality of sas macro writting. I am sas programer with 5 years of experience, but still I need to explore high level of macro programing.

Can anyone suggest online free material

Sameer

3 REPLIES 3
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Learn it while solving a problem that requires macro programming.

If you don't use them regularly, you'll unlearn your skills quite quickly anyway.

Anytime I run into obstacles during macro (or any type of) programming, I follow Maxim 1 (Read the documentation); if that doesn't help (rarely), I consult the communities.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Not entirely sure what you mean by "high quality of sas macro writting" so going to assume some sort of global library based tool approach.  What I would suggest is to learn some of the principals of Software Development.  Basically everything comes down to a process with inputs and outputs, so this can be documented (Functional Design Specification), where all the information on the process should be documented.  Once you have this done, and the testing setup (and possibly user documentation), actually writing code is next to nothing in the whole scheme of things.

As for macro itself, quite a few people find that writing the code to do the process, then re-factoring that working code by replacing repeating parts, parameterising changing variables etc. helps.  

One thing I would also add is to not hide anything, make your code as simple, easy to read, and open as you possibly can do.  Sure, we ca all write funky routines, which call compiled procedures within masses of brackets and macro calls and references, but would you like to be the person who has to either use that or try to fix/update it in the future?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation