BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rfarmenta
Obsidian | Level 7

We are using EpiInfo to manage our lab data for one of our studies. Because of the way we had to set up our data entry forms in EpiInfo when I export data out of EpiInfo into excel to read into SAS, all of the variables are character variables, even if it is a numeric value.

How do I create a loop in SAS that will convert all of the variables that I want to from Character to Numeric so I don't have to do it manually in Excel. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Try this,

data chars;

length chr1 char2 char3 $8;

chr1='23' ; char2='45' ; char3='78' ; output;

chr1='44' ; char2='66' ; char3='99' ; output;

chr1='11' ; char2='22' ; char3='88' ; output;

run;

proc sql noprint;

select    strip(put(count(*),best.))

into    :g_numCount

from    dictionary.columns

where    libname='WORK'

and        memname='CHARS'

and        type='char'

;

quit;

%put &g_numCount;

data nums (keep=numvars1-numvars&g_numCount);

set chars;

array charvars (&g_numCount) $ _character_;

array numvars (&g_numCount) 8 numvars1 - numvars&g_numCount;

do i=1 to dim(numvars);

numvars=input(charvars,best8.);

end;

run;

ballardw
Super User

If EpiInfo will export to CSV you may have better luck. Or you can try changing the data type in Excel to numeric

bentleyj1
Quartz | Level 8

Both of these are good answers.  Ballardw's though requires manipulation of the Excel worksheet... if you already open the file for maybe a quick visual review then this won't be too burdensome.  You could even write a simple VB-Excel macro to change the format of the columns of interest.

If on the other hand you need a solution that requires no manual intervention and you want to convert all character variables to numeric and the number of character variables varies from file to file then Ahmed's approach is the better of the two

If the names and number of character variable doesn't change then here's an approach similar Ahmed's. It uses a LIBNAME statement to import the Excel file and loads the arrays with a hardcoded list of the character variables that need to be converted.  Not tested.

libname xls excel '<drive>:/<path>/<filename>.xls';

data epinfo_data_with_numeric_vars; 

set xls.<sheet_name>$'n;

array charvars {*} $ charvar1-charvar8;

array numvars {*} numvar1 - numvar8;

do i=1 to dim(numvars);

numvars=input(charvars,best.);

end;

drop charvar1-charvar8;

run;

Be sure to let us know which answer you accept.

John

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation