BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Zelazny7
Fluorite | Level 6

A few brave souls are creating a jupyter kernel for SAS: https://github.com/gaulinmp/sas_kernel

I believe it requires SAS to launch with the -nodms option. Is this supported on Windows7? I don't believe it is.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jared
SAS Employee

@LauraRK yes, we have released both SASPy and the SAS kernel to now connect with ALL SAS 9.4 connections (Linux, Unix, Windows, PC SAS, and Mainframe)

To install using pip just excecute the following command:

pip install sas_kernel

You will then need to update the configuration file with the information on your SAS deployment.

You can download the source code from GitHub (SASPy and SAS Kernel).

Here is the documentation for SASPy and SAS Kernel

Learn more from these blog posts:

- How to run SAS in Jupyter notebook

- Introducing SASPy: Using Python code to access SAS

For the SAS University Edition user, you have access to the SAS Kernel in the VM and have for 12 months.

Here is a blog post from @ChrisHemedinger.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

For us who doesn't really know what this means, it would interesting and helpful with a brief description of this concept.

Data never sleeps
RObbert
Calcite | Level 5

SAS line mode is one I frequently use. But as you suspected not on Windows:

2016-04-01 16_27_39-SAS Message Log.png

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

But what is Jupyter and how does it relate to SAS? We are dying to know.

regards,

- Jan

Reeza
Super User

Jupyter is an open source project, an interactive way of coding and displaying results in line with code. 

It works great for web and sharing results. 

I fully understand how it works for teaching and sharing projects online, but beyond that it's not particularily useful with respect to SAS. SAS has great methods of outputing results to files, HTML, RTF, PDF already. It's not really practical for SAS in my opinion, or actualy development. I DON'T want to see the results in line with my code, that's a nightmare to maintain in my opinion.  

http://jupyter.org/

Reeza
Super User

Also, with SAS Studio available this would have limited value. 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
To answer the original question, no. It's only supported on Linux ad for now.
Data never sleeps
Jared
SAS Employee

Look for an update before SAS Global Forum that will lift the Unix restriction and allow connections to PC SAS and SAS Grid Manager among others.

Jared

LauraRK
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,  Is this update out there?  Laura

Jared
SAS Employee

@LauraRK yes, we have released both SASPy and the SAS kernel to now connect with ALL SAS 9.4 connections (Linux, Unix, Windows, PC SAS, and Mainframe)

To install using pip just excecute the following command:

pip install sas_kernel

You will then need to update the configuration file with the information on your SAS deployment.

You can download the source code from GitHub (SASPy and SAS Kernel).

Here is the documentation for SASPy and SAS Kernel

Learn more from these blog posts:

- How to run SAS in Jupyter notebook

- Introducing SASPy: Using Python code to access SAS

For the SAS University Edition user, you have access to the SAS Kernel in the VM and have for 12 months.

Here is a blog post from @ChrisHemedinger.

LauraRK
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you so much. I am working on installing this now. It has been a big learning process getting it installed but I am excited about it. I had to do further work to make it create documents. I have used SAS for over 20 years and taught SAS as well as R. Every time I install and try to set things up in SAS I can't help but compare it to my R-studio experience. I know there is SAS University edition but for those of us who use the Licensed version of SAS in an educational environment, I would love it if there was a quick installation method and interface with these notebooks in a standalone installation package that we could use to install base SAS / SAS Stat (products in SAS Univ. Edition) on the PC or MAC without installing a virtual machine that could be included in the SAS Educational Suite.

Just dreaming as I spend a lot of time each year helping students and faculty install SAS and I love the notebooks in R. Thanks again.

Jared
SAS Employee

Here is a blog post from @ChrisHemedinger

Jared

LauraRK
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Jared.  I do not use SAS University Edition in my classes.  We  use the SAS educational suite since my school has a license and given the nature of our lab computers.

Thanks again for your help.  🙂  Hopefully I can get this up and working.  I have it sort of working. A lot of it is learning curve on my end I am sure.

I  now am just having trouble with creatng a pdf, it is giving me an error about the xetex-def package.  I have updated my whole miktex, installed graphics-def, still having issues but I will keep trying, that is not a SAS problem, although if any of you had this issue and know a solution I would love to hear it.

LauraRK
Quartz | Level 8
This is really great. I got it up and working. Thanks so much for making this work.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 6 in conversation