SAS/IntrNet problem: Windows Error Reporting failed because the client was not found

Occasional Contributor

SAS/IntrNet problem: Windows Error Reporting failed because the client was not found

Good afternoon:

I am turning to the SAS user community to see whether any of you have ideas regarding this problem. I have an open track with SI as well.

The problem is that an application server service malfunctions with the error message:

ERROR: Windows Error Reporting failed because the client was not found.

This message appears in the application server service's log. There are no other errors in the log. What I can figure out that the task that is performed just before the service quits is a "REPLAY" task, in other words, the application server service puts together the HTML page that is sent back to the user:

Tue, 28 May 2013 11:22:30.884 Request 3706 ended okay (0.48 seconds)

Tue, 28 May 2013 11:22:31.244 Request 3707 from xxxx started.

Tue, 28 May 2013 11:22:31.322 Request 3707 Program is replay

Tue, 28 May 2013 11:22:35.479 Request 3707 ended okay (4.23 seconds)

Tue, 28 May 2013 11:22:37.776 Request 3708 from xxxx started.

Tue, 28 May 2013 11:22:37.854 Request 3708 Program is replay

Tue, 28 May 2013 11:27:37.789 Aborting request 3708, request timeout.

ERROR: Windows Error Reporting failed because the client was not found.

After this event occurs, the service is unresponsive. The service is running on a Windows 2003 32-bit server. I am unable to restart the service, the server has to be re-booted to address this issue.  Web users see an "Internal Server Error" once the event occurs.

At the time this problem happens, the Windows event log shows event ID 2401:

Critical SAS error:  Write Access Violation APPSRVE      Exception occurred at (7c84cd12)

This is the third time this problem has happened. The first time, 7 days ago, the application server service had been running since January this year and was working on request 99673. I have not made changes to the application that were out of the ordinary. There are constantly small changes in the HTML returned to the user, but the SAS programs remain unchanged. We had the second occurrence 6 days ago, and the third occurrence earlier today.

Besides the application server log, I also maintain an activity log that tells me what a user does at what date/time. There is no pattern to what users are doing just before this problem happens.

The last set of OS updates was installed in March.

The setup for this SAS/IntrNet based application is simple. I use the broker CGI script to send web requests to the application server. Only SAS foundation products are used. I use the SAS autocall library feature. I do not use stored processes or the stored macro facility.

SI is looking into this issue, but as I cannot reproduce it, there is not much they can do.

If you have any ideas, please let me know, thank you!

Beate

New Contributor

Re: SAS/IntrNet problem: Windows Error Reporting failed because the client was not found

We are having a similar problem with SAS/Intrnet 9.4. My track is #7611228788. The person assigned to the track says the Event Viewer SAS 2401 error message, "Critical SAS error:  Write Access Violation APPSRVE", does not mean anything to him. This problem is frustrating because it occurs infrequently. When it does occur, the user agent string indicates an Apple product or Windows using Chrome 35. Because the SAS service is hung up, we must kill the service's process and then restart the process -- 4 times in the past 3 days. Do we need to go back to SAS/Intrnet 9.2, which appears to be a more stable software product?

Trusted Advisor

Re: SAS/IntrNet problem: Windows Error Reporting failed because the client was not found

Posted in reply to ColoradoData

You are experiencing some errors related to timing with events.

They are very hard to debug as there is no easy way to show the error as is possible wit simple logical errors. There are more of them introduced with the threading kernal.

Getting support of SAS to solve those issue is very challenging is of my experience.

Only known errors may be called for (????) as unknown errors cannot be found with search engines they are assumed be not existent.

For sas  Intranet I have also seen the hangup of a sas process blocking other ones. The pool service minimize the impact as it will be more easily to stop and restart while other users are not impacted.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply, Jaap -- very helpful! I have one follow-up question. We have been using this SAS code for years but started experiencing the problem when we upgraded our server from SAS/Intrnet 9.2 to SAS/Intrnet 9.4, and from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2012. Besides trying a pool service, to address this timing/kernel threading problem, does this also require revising SAS code, restructuring SAS datasets, or is the problem OS-related or hardware-related, or a combination of all?

Thanks!

Super User

These problems sound similar to ones found with earlier SAS releases:

http://support.sas.com/kb/5/008.html

Could be worth pointing these out to Tech Support.

Trusted Advisor

As SASkiwi made his statement these are old errors, I agree with that.

Sometimes there are more interactions as not closing the Web out running in a timeout or changing a port or session unintended causing the appserver process being confused - corrupted.  In all cases the error recovery of SAS should be robust not harming the others, there are some failures that should be acted on be TS although the won't like it.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
New Contributor

Thank you for your replies and info, SASkiwi and Jaap -- much appreciated! I will continue to work with SAS Tech Support on this matter and will discuss the info your provided with our SAS server administrators. I post any updates to this forum thread.

New Contributor

7/17/2014: I figured out to replicate my SAS/Intrnet problem. It occurs with a SAS program that generates a PDF to a user's browser. The Application Dispatcher SAS service hangs when the user closes their browser before the PDF has finished displaying to the browser; if it finishes, no problem. I forwarded this info to SAS Tech Support with a sample program that easily reproduces the problem.

8/21/2014: Final update: The SAS Tech developers were able to replicate the problem and are working on a hotfix for me and for current/future SAS releases.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your updates (somehow I did not get e-mail notices when the thread was updated and just happened to take a look at the thread today).

The PDF issue makes sense in that our application generates PDF files as well. Somehow though, we were lucky that the problem went away. It was my impression that the IT department tweaked something on their end with the VPS setup.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation