BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Rahul_SAS
Quartz | Level 8

Hi All,

I am from not technical back ground and did B.Sc. in Maths and Phy. I have sound knowledge of Base SAS, Advance SAS, SQL and Macros. I did SAS Certification last year giving interviews to get a job in SAS profile. My resume as a fresher didn't get shortlisted in initial days so I decided to go with 2 years of fake experience. I put up so hard work to get the concept clear and feel myself in good position to take the challenges in this profile now. But couldn't cleared any of the interview because I am not able to answer some initial questions. So could anybody please help me in this portion.

1.    I mentioned experience in finance domain in my resume so they always ask me to explain, All the projects that I handled and brief the current project and roll & responsibility in that.

2.    What were the client requirement in  those projects and how did I met them.

3.    what should I supposed to answer about reports I mean, How many kinds of reports you create and what are the business requirements of them.

4.    If I say that I work in Credit card domain then they ask Which segment of credit card you work in?

I worked so hard to answer technical questions but couldn't manage myself to answer these question hence kindly provide me a proper guidance so that I will be able to become a SAS professional.

Regards

Rahul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I couldn't agree more with Naveen. Your lack of real experience will show in any interview. You can't fake experiece. Suppose you would get the job: You are then in a situation where you are supposed to know and you can't ask the beginner's questions. But as you don't know and no one will tell you as people expect you do know, you'll get things terribly wrong. Your chance of failure and not making it over the probation period is therefore very high.

What you could try: Decide what industry you want to be in (eg. finance) and try to get "any" job in there. Any kind of experience in the industry of your choosing will help you. Continue looking for the right job while you are in the wrong job.

If faking some experience is what makes the difference between getting an interview or not: A VERY risky strategy would be to fake the experience in the CV but then admit at the very beginning of the interview that you faked this part (and only this part) of the CV. If you can get away with such a strategy will strongly depend on your personality, the first impression you can give and how good you can sell yourself in the first few minutes. I would assume that a considerable percentage of interviewers will end the interview immediately - but the remaining ones will probably give you a chance as you've been honest when it counted and also have shown some "street smartness" to "get things done" (and they've booked the time already). If you take such an approach make sure that you research the industry, the company and the project/job requirements as good as possible as you will start with a big minus in such an interview (but at least you've got the interview) so you will need to be very convincing for the rest of it. Also after admitting to a lie make sure to be 200% honest and open afterwards (also in the things you don't know). Being a fresher what you have to sell is your potential - as a person adding value to the team, as being well trained, eager to learn and open to challenges.

Just think: If you would be the interviewer and someone admits having tricked you into an interview by lying to you, how would you feel about this person? So if you can't turn this around then you are in a lost position. Hiring someone has a lot to do with taking a risk and invest in and trust a person. To recover from a lye and make the interviewer trust you again will take a lot. I believe I wouldn't be able to do this. Are you?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
NaveenSrinivasan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

First of all, I would suggest you not to post such a question in any forums for your own good for the simple reason you are rather risking your chances even more by asking for support to a fake resume that you mentioned your desperation has led you to attempt by any means. Personally, I don't think a certification without experience can be used as means to get a job rather certification is something to assess your self knowledge and learn further.

Second of all, the job market is extremely competitive and there are several thousands alike you who seem to be in a notion that they could use SAS certification or mere training as a ticket to employment. I would sincerely suggest to get that notion out of your mind and approach interviews with your overall skills that includes analytical, communication, and basic industry knowledge. That's what I look for in a prospective resource being a Senior in the interview panel at L&T Ltd. Believe me, interviewers are not that silly to be bluffed easily.And we have enough budget to hire and train anybody in SAS or other technology  with or without prior SAS skills. So please try to also understand from corporate point of view.

Thirdly,I am sure you are from India as I am, and I very well know how severe the competition is considering we have billion plus population. I do appreciate your perseverance but your thought process may have been perhaps misguided.  Well, that's life like a box of chocolates with many bitter and some sweet. Not always fair Smiley Sad. Keep trying with sincerity focusing on the skills you have, and wait for the sweet one to come.

All the very Best and a happy new year to you,

Naveen

P.S If you can't find a SAS based employment, you could try learning SPSS, Matlab, Minitab and others to get your resume to look better than faking your CV with experience. That's my humble opinion and no offense intended. Thanks

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I couldn't agree more with Naveen. Your lack of real experience will show in any interview. You can't fake experiece. Suppose you would get the job: You are then in a situation where you are supposed to know and you can't ask the beginner's questions. But as you don't know and no one will tell you as people expect you do know, you'll get things terribly wrong. Your chance of failure and not making it over the probation period is therefore very high.

What you could try: Decide what industry you want to be in (eg. finance) and try to get "any" job in there. Any kind of experience in the industry of your choosing will help you. Continue looking for the right job while you are in the wrong job.

If faking some experience is what makes the difference between getting an interview or not: A VERY risky strategy would be to fake the experience in the CV but then admit at the very beginning of the interview that you faked this part (and only this part) of the CV. If you can get away with such a strategy will strongly depend on your personality, the first impression you can give and how good you can sell yourself in the first few minutes. I would assume that a considerable percentage of interviewers will end the interview immediately - but the remaining ones will probably give you a chance as you've been honest when it counted and also have shown some "street smartness" to "get things done" (and they've booked the time already). If you take such an approach make sure that you research the industry, the company and the project/job requirements as good as possible as you will start with a big minus in such an interview (but at least you've got the interview) so you will need to be very convincing for the rest of it. Also after admitting to a lie make sure to be 200% honest and open afterwards (also in the things you don't know). Being a fresher what you have to sell is your potential - as a person adding value to the team, as being well trained, eager to learn and open to challenges.

Just think: If you would be the interviewer and someone admits having tricked you into an interview by lying to you, how would you feel about this person? So if you can't turn this around then you are in a lost position. Hiring someone has a lot to do with taking a risk and invest in and trust a person. To recover from a lye and make the interviewer trust you again will take a lot. I believe I wouldn't be able to do this. Are you?

Rahul_SAS
Quartz | Level 8

Naveen,

Thanks a lot Naveen for your prompt and favorable guidance but my question is, having good knowledge is not enough to get an employment? I left my last job which was in a BPO(of 4yrs) just getting better sas skills and that is why I am trying for it by any means. In fact I have no issue in getting an employment as a fresher. I very well know that the way I have chosen is not correct but I am not left with any other way.

If you may do something for me so plz reply me on rahul654k@gmail.com

Patrick,

Thanks a lot Patrick you as well for your valuable time. I would prefer your way to achieve the goal. I never lie neither in professional life or in personal life and was feeling awkward showing this fake experience in my resume. Most often I keep things transparent to everyone and that is why I shared it on this forum.

I do have 4 years of BPO experience(in health Insurance and Telecom) but it wasn't working anymore and didn't find the better life as well so I decided to change the profile and did SAS. I would say that I am confident enough to answer most of the technical question except the ones are relate to the project only. I will try your suggestion also as I will feel more comfortable.

All I need is a CHANCE. Once I get this opportunity, will never look back.

If any of you wants to help me please advise me on rahul654k@gmail.com

Thanks & Regards

Rahul

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 3 in conversation