BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
alexm
Calcite | Level 5

I am somewhat new to SAS and am having an issue with the "Filter and Sort" function in enterprise guide. As I click on "filter and sort", no window pops up and, instead, the entire SAS window freezes and I am forced to shut it down through the task manager on my Windows system. This problem is exclusive to the "filter and sort" command - this does not happen with anything else. Can someone help me with a solution to this problem?

7 REPLIES 7
chrisw_sas
SAS Employee

Hi alexm! I was wondering if this happens each time you try to select "filter and sort" or does this happen only some times. Also, has this functionality worked for you in the past or is this a new install of SAS that has never been able to perform the "filter and sort" feature?

alexm
Calcite | Level 5

This happens every time I use "filter and sort" but it did not always happen. I have had SAS for about a month and this issue started about a week ago.

chrisw_sas
SAS Employee

Sounds like you may have had a DLL file that handles that functionality removed. To check that for certain, run the SAS Installation Qualification Tool. To do this, click Start > All Programs > SAS > Utilities > SAS Install Qualification Tool. Once the test is complete, view the report and let me know if any files are missing or have a mismatch.

DJN9110
Calcite | Level 5

I am having the same problem now in SAS EG 6.1 and I used the qualification tool; it didn't help me any. Have you found any solutions...almost a year later?

Winter
Fluorite | Level 6

I had the same issue running EG 6.1 and although this thread might be dead I like to share my solution for anyone coming to this thread seeking answers… However I can’t take credit. I found the solution in this thread from the SAS forum where  Chris Hemedinger writes:

To get to an "off screen" window that might be blocking the app, use this keyboard sequence:

Alt+SPACE , then press M (for move), then use arrow keys to move window into view.

If you use those keys, you should see the window outline snap right into your current display. Practice the key sequence on a window that you can see; that helps you to use it when stuck on a window that's out of bounds.

Chris

Basically my problem was that I’m using a monitor and although EG maximize to the size of my monitor the filter and sort pop-up window ended up outside my FoV/monitor.  As Chris describes using his solution will make the filter window snap on to your active EG window (use the solution while in the main EG window).

Winter
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi @suchismita

I'm currently running into this problem a lot since i use a multi screen setup on my laptop and every time I use something like the "filter and sort" or anything else in EG (or other SAS applications) which brings up a prompt it ends up on my laptop monitor (off to the side) rather than my main monitor. It can also happen after I unplug my external monitor where the program/Windows still place EG or prompts from EG "off screen".

Basically EG "Freeze" when in fact a prompt is open off screen an you cant interact with EG before you close the prompt.

Since my last post I have come to rely on the  "windows key" in combination with the arrow keys such as "'Windows Key' + 'Arrow left'" or "'Windows Key' + 'Arrow right'". This moves around the selected window, snapping it to the edges of the screen/screens (works with any application, try it out with word or explorer to get a feel for it) and since the prompt is the selected windows this is the windows that we move. The aim is to spam left or right while holding the "windows key" and move the off screen windows into the same monitor/screen that EG itself is presented in.

I hope it solves the issue!

//Winter

Winter
Fluorite | Level 6

That sounds like you might have some actual issues with your SAS deployment if you cant close a pop-up window, such as the "filter and sort" ,using "Cancel" or the "X" in the top right of the window. I assume that you are also unable to use the "filter and sort" as intended (fill it out and hit "Ok" to perform a filter) if that is the case.

Basically it's one thing for the pop-up window to end up of screen then moving it into view should fix your problem, either fill it out as intended and perform the filter (or other action) or close it if it was a mistake. If the window itself is frozen or unresponsive that's something else entirely. 

As to why SAS haven't fixed the issue, I would speculate that the actual problem might have more to do with Windows as an operating than SAS but I have no insight in that.

For "drag and drop" functionalities i would recommend you looking into SAS Studio (that is, if your SAS is an deployed server and not just EG as a stand alone workstation) and the "Visual programmer" feature which support drag and drop of tables and a lot of tasks.

//Winter 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation