BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BillB
Fluorite | Level 6

Is there anyway to configure SAS E.G. 5.1 to automatically register data created as Meta Data?

7 REPLIES 7
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Please Elaborate...

Eguide can be used to register data to metadata (when autorized)

A lot of data (work) you won't like to be registered.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
BillB
Fluorite | Level 6

Jaap;

We are "newbies" to EG and I have an Admin who is just getting acquainted to E.G. from the Admin role.

Are you saying that the Admin should register the data I create as Meta data upon my request or are you saying I can register in myself in E.G?

My role is that of the data creator and analyst. So from mys perspective, just about all the data I create is going to be Meta data.

Can you elaborate re above?

Thanks Jaap, I really appreciate  your guidance.

Bill

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Ok Bill,  metadata is very confusing as there are more ways it is being used. 

The global meaning of metadata is that is describing the data you are using. Call it a Data Dictionary.

SAS datasets and DBMS tables commonly already having a dictionary off that.

Open up a table and you see all variables types labels. As long a you are using to do work an those tables that is sufficient.

The libraries (pathname/schema) you are using, you could setup them in a autoexec eg project source.

With this approach nothing of libraries or tables is needed in the SAS metadatabase.

Chris Hemedinger made some nice postings in hsi blog on that You asked for it: the Autoexec process flow - The SAS Dummy

The SAS metadatabase is that thing seeing by SMC or by Eguide as "SASapp". What you see by Eguide is a part below SASapp called the Workspace Server (WS).

Your admin  should be able to find that in SMC and the configuration files of SAS at OS level. 

When you are using DI studio, Information maps or more of the approach where the libraries tables are needed in the SAS metdatabase these tables and libraries need to be registered there. In this approach it is common to do lifecyclemanagement while developping something.

As long you are only the Anlyst working with data you could go for the first mentioned easy approach just working with Eguide and not bothering too much about the SAS metdataserver.

BillB
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Jaap,

Here's my dilema.

I am the only user/analyst for EG & Office Analytics and frequency run queries on a 90 million record table in the Library that output smaller subsets that are not registered into Meta Data in the Library.

Yesterday, I created three small list to use for Prompts that I could not access when trying to create the Prompts unless they were registered in Meta Data under the Library. This is one example.

This being the case, our Admin would also like to know if there is some configuration to the SAS platform that would allow the data that I need as Meta Data to be automatically registerd as such?

Thanks again for your help.

Quentin
Super User

Hi Bill,

I don't know the answer to your question (is it possible/how best to automate the registering of datasets in the metadata).  So will look forward to responses from others.

But in the mean time, has the admin given you rights to manually register these tables yourself?

Since you are only registering the metadata, you only need to register them once for each dataset (assuming the structure doesn't change etc). 

I don't think you would want something like "Please register every dataset I make in this SAS sessionj" that would be too much.

Assuming you have permissions to register metadata, check out PROC METALIB.

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Bill Ok, You and your Admin are doing all the roles in the IT department.  It will save a lot on meeting time.Smiley Happy

The disadvantage is to find some solutions for new stuff. You (will) find a way.

The prompts are needing some input from tables being registered in metadata.

That is happening with dynamic prompts using a dataset as input. Lucky enough you are just using Eguide and Amo.

I have seen a weird behavior that these type of prompt are opening a WS-server while being defined to run at a SP-server.

Both Eguide and Amo are using by default a WS server.

Quentin hinted to this approach of updating metadata content..

SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: Data Administration Guide, Second Edition. (Updating Your Table Metadata to Match Data in Your Physical  Tables). Your admin or you could run that having sufficient autorization to the metadatabase.

For the promtp usage this registration needs to be done for every new table  being used that way.

If you have a lot of data you could decide to place these type of table in one or more segregated libraries/libnames.

As you deliver the data by WS servers (and/or SP-servers) you could have your admin having defined the libnames in the user-mods autoexec file. By that the registration and data will always by available to all users.

If a well defined security is needed, some people may not see all datamarts that will be for the future now.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

You can avoid the issue of having to register tables in metadata for them to be available in EG by taking the following steps when creating Data Libraries in SAS Management Console:

1) Pre-assign the data libraries in the Advanced Options of the Options tab.

2) Again in SMC Data Library properties, go to the Extended Attributes tab and add a field name called AssignMode with a value of 2.

All this is explained in a very useful paper:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/guide/EG43MetaLibraries.pdf

As a general rule it is best practice to set up all the libraries (both SAS and database) required by EG users in SMC. By doing this and following options 1) and 2) these libraries, and all of the tables with the libraries will be available in the EG server list, in EG tasks and EG SAS code automatically.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation