SAS Data set Indexes - Not compatible with this SAS version in releases before SAS® 9.3

Contributor

SAS Data set Indexes - Not compatible with this SAS version in releases before SAS® 9.3

Hi Folks,

Using EG 6.1  (64 bit)  within Office Analytics, I created fifty (50) SAS Data sets.

I used system option " ExtendObsCounter=No " and out of 50 SAS Data sets, 10 data sets were created with indexes.

These SAS data sets were then copied to network drive to share with other users.

When other department staff tried to use these SAS data sets on their SAS PC 9.2 (32 bit), 40 data sets can be browsed/opened, however, those 10 data sets with Indexes didn't opened.

I don't have the exact wording of the message handy, but it is " Version control issue ".

Is there any way or suggestions to fix this?

>>>>>>Usage Note 49496: The option EXTENDOBSCOUNTER=YES might cause the error "File libref.member.DATA not compatible with this SAS version" in releases before SAS® 9.3

Regular Contributor

Re: SAS Data set Indexes - Not compatible with this SAS version in releases before SAS® 9.3

I think you'll find the answer here -> SAS(R) 9.3 Data Set Options: Reference

Specifically

Restrictions:A SAS data file that is created with EXTENDOBSCOUNTER=YES is incompatible with releases before SAS 9.3.

I've never used this option but from the documentation it only looks useful if you have an enormous data set (i.e. greater than 2 billion records). I would suggest if you really have a data set this size it might be better to split it up in some way or any processing will take forever.

Alternatively if you just want to create an index use Proc Datasets, Proc SQL or the Index= data set option.

Chris

Valued Guide

Re: SAS Data set Indexes - Not compatible with this SAS version in releases before SAS® 9.3

You can read sas datasets from other machines or versions. That is foreign access.

With native access that is same machine type same sas version same bitness and same byteness (Latin1 versus utf8)

All type of accessing data locking pointer ing and indexing is working. You have a problem with foreign and native sas dataset usage

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation