SAS Certification via e-Course only

Occasional Contributor

SAS Certification via e-Course only

Hi everyone, have a question related to SAS Base and Advanced programmer certifications.

I have taken SAS Programming 1 via e-course and am in the process of taking SAS Programming 2 via e-course as well (have never taken SAS training in person).  It is working well for me, being able to pause and re-watch sections as needed.  I am using SAS Analytics U to practice at home (at work I have full access to Base SAS and Enterprise Guide).  I have been programming in SAS daily for almost one year at work and am very comfortable with the concepts learned thus far.

However, due to scheduling at work for meetings and workload, it will be very difficult for me to make it out to physically take SAS Programming 3, SQL 1 and Macro 1 at a SAS training facility.  In a nutshell, e-course is much more flexible to my workplace needs at this time.

My question: is learning the material presented via e-course robust enough and similar enough to live course teaching to pass the certification exams (assuming regular, diligent study after the classes prior to examination).  I understand everyone's situation is different and people learn differently, I am simply curious to hear the opinion of people who have taken training with SAS both live and via e-course format.

Thank You

Super User

Re: SAS Certification via e-Course only

If you use SAS daily at work that's more important than the course IMO.

Taking the first 2 e-courses should prepare you for the base certification, but it also depends on how often you use what's in the course.

I rarely deal with text files, usually servers and excel and I found a large portion of the first exam concentrated on text files which wasn't relevant to what I worked with so it was more difficult.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response!

I actually work very often with delimited text files or csv.. and strange ones at that (tilde or pipe delim)!  It would be nice to have the courses cover more detail when it comes to reading and WRITING out to Excel.  I believe prog1 only teaches how to assign a libname to a excel file and open tabs as a library, but when it comes to ODS I have found that it exports well in XML format, but not true native xls or xlsx.  Also, proc import vs. data infile/input comparison would be amazing.. I am thinking these topics may be covered in prog3 or another course.  Sorry for the off topic on my own topic..

Super User

SAS 9.4 has an experimental ODS EXCEL which will do native excel files. 

Otherwise there's a handy macro written by some users on here, that allows a native excel file to be written.

A Poor/Rich SAS Users Proc Export - sasCommunity

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation