BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
VinayKY
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am trying to load UTF8 data using SAS Bulk Loader and have following questions:

1. SAS Oracle Bulk Loader uses SQLLDR to bulk load data into Oracle. Is there a way to load UTF8 data with the bulk loader?

2. For loading UTF8 data using SQLLDR, there is an SQLLDR option 'CHARACTERSET UTF8', but does somebody knows how to pass this parameter using SAS Bulk Loader Option? passing it in BL_OPTIONS does not works and generates error

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Perhaps I'm out on a limb here, but under what encoding are you running the session in, and in what encoding is the source data (SAS data set) in, prior to the bulk load.?

One could hope that if you have a "clean" UTF8 set up in SAS, the bulk.load file will also use that encoding?

Data never sleeps
VinayKY
Calcite | Level 5

SAS is running in UTF8 and Oracle too is UTF8. The native characters can be seen properly in the temporary dat file created by SAS but after SQLLDR loads data into Oracle, the native characters gets converted to square boxes.

NOTE: As an alternative approach I tried exporting the dataset into a CSV as UTF8 encoding and loading data in Oracle using Oracle External Location, It maintains the native characters and are visible correctly in Oracle.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Then it seems like an Oracle problem, you may have better luck contact your DBA, or Oracle forums/support...?

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation