SAS Binary Formats

Contributor

SAS Binary Formats

Hi All,

Just wondering what SAS format is equivilent to the Binary Interchangeable File Format 12 (BIFF12).

Many thanks

G

Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Re: SAS Binary Formats

A quick google of this reveals that BIFF12 is some sort of Excel file format, correct?  

Regardless of that, most SAS file formats are proprietary closed ones.  The exception being XPT.  That being said it is easily possible to export to a variety of Office file formats, and many other file formats also from text, delimted, XML through databases etc.

You will need to be clearer on what you want to do.

Contributor

I want to create a Binary File that mimics the .XLSB excel format.  I know in SAS that there are many binary formats that are available and was wondering if there was one that matched the same as the BIFF12 format. 

Thanks 

G

Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Nope, I think you might be confused about the file format question in general.  XLSB is a proprietary - i.e. M$ own and keep secret - the file format for XLSB, it is compiled binary so you cannot see the underneath without some decompilation process.  SAS binary files are SAS proprietary formats, i.e. they are compiled binary that SAS holds the rights and keeps secret.  If the two had any simiarities it would be complete chance.  

I would ask why the need for XLSB, as for me, I can never recommend using proprietary file formats.  They are closed, and pretty difficult for anyone to use.  True, they tend to be the smallest of the file types, but the lack of ope source/portability/user friendliness far outweighs any need for storage space.  Why not export to XLSX if you really have to use Excel?  You can export native XLSX from 9.4.  Or there is the old proc export with xls, although you don't get any of the nice formatting etc.  

A final alternative is to output a file and have a small section of VBA which opens the file and saves to XLSB.

But I really can't recommned the use of that file format.

Respected Advisor

[ Edited ]

There is really not much reason to store Excel files in a binary .xlsb format and that's why Microsoft changed the default to .xlsx.

Not sure why you believe .xlsb is interchangeable. I'd say the opposite is true.

Capture.PNG

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation