BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ben_94
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am working on a application that was originally developed in 2002 - I know right.

It has beeen redeveloped over the years I am now atttempting to get it working on SAS/AF 9.4 it was last developed for SAS/AF 9.1.3.

I am encountering the following warning message whenever I try to edit the majority of the catalogs.

warning: Unable to open catalog LIB.APPLICATION in edit mode, opened in browse mode instead

I think it has something to do with the fact the catalogs have been developed in the older version of SAS but I am not sure.

Really I am trying to find a way to force unlock the catalogs so I can do my edits.

Thank you for your help,

Ben  

7 REPLIES 7
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

So how did the migration take place?

The current position from SAS is to migrate via 9.3.

If you still got an 9.1.3 running, try to do a PROC CPORT, or even a PROC DOWNLOAD if you are licencing CONNECT.

Data never sleeps
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

It's entirely possible that the problem is caused by the catalogs having been developed in SAS 9.1.3 - I don't know if Proc Migrate http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/70377/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p00mbor90f24mfn192ma4... works with AF catalogs but it might be worth giving it a shot.

Oh and I can easily beat your system for ancientness - until recently I was working on systems developed in SAS v6..................

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Oh and I can easily beat your system for ancientness - until recently I was working on systems developed in SAS v6..................

Yabadabadoo!

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Next quote was taken from sas 9.4 documentation:

SAS does not support update processing for incompatible catalogs, so you must migrate incompatible SCL catalog entries to a compatible SAS release in order to edit them.

see link:

https://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/planning/software/programs.html

try to migrate the catalog using current sas version.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I have often found that SAS/AF is used for logic that can be solved with macro programming as well. Inspect the logic in light of this, and if it is the case, do the switch. It remedies the catalog version problem once and for all, as macro code is just text in .sas files. And it lets you reduce your license cost.

Ben_94
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for all your speedy and interesting replies. Slightly embarrassing some of the catalogs had read only access in place probably by the previous developer. Changing these permission unlocked the catalogs for me. I did have a look at the compatibility calculator on one of the links in the replies it said there shouldn't be a issue but it is somthing to bear in mind if I encounter further issues.

Thanks again for your replies,

Ben 

maggiem_sas
SAS Employee

Here are a few more compatibility notes for SAS/AF specifically:

https://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/planning/software/af.html

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 7 in conversation