BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
nadiacm
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi guys,

since last month my SAS 9.4 is extremely slow, the initialization is taking a whole life, when a ask to open a table (even a table with two rows and two columns) doesn't take less than 3min, the WRDS remote access is slow too.

Does anybody know if something happened lately or any reason for this change on my SAS performance?

17 REPLIES 17
Reeza
Super User

WRDS is running on Wharton's servers, so you likely need to talk to them about speed issues. They do have support.

What type of SAS installation do you have? Are you using SAS UE running locally, or SAS Studio and using your schools SAS server? Or some other type of installation?

nadiacm
Fluorite | Level 6

I don't believe is a problem with WRDS because the remote tasks are performing very fast. The problem is when I thy to login, the SAS is taking a long time to answer my request to login.

It's a SAS 9.4v with a University License installed in my laptop.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Is this a local SAS installation (on your PC) or are you connecting to a remote SAS server? If it is local then check Windows Task Manager. What does it show in terms of CPU usage and memory usage? Also check free space on your hard drive - do you have plenty of free space?

nadiacm
Fluorite | Level 6

It's a local SAS installation.

When SAS was trying to login at my WRDS account it was using 0% of my CPU ans 37MB of my memory.

My laptop has 414GB free memory and a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U 1.70Ghz CPU.

Reeza
Super User

When SAS was trying to login at my WRDS account it was using 0% of my CPU ans 37MB of my memory.

That still sounds like the SAS server at WRDS taking time to load, not SAS 9.4

Or are you referring to when you start up the application before you try to log in to WRDS? That would then be part of your local installation issue. If that's the case I would check what updates have been applied in the past month and if you have the latest version of SAS (9.4 TS1M5) which your University should have access to free of cost. 

nadiacm
Fluorite | Level 6

But it's not just when I try to login at WRDS. It also happens when I try to open tables, no matter the table size, the initialization is taking forever too.

My SAS is a SAS 9.4 TS Level 1M4.

Reeza
Super User

Are those tables on your server or the WRDS server? Did you download the data from WRDS and are trying to work with it locally?

What's the library reference for them? 

Reeza
Super User

FYI - anything with WRDS is going over your internet connection lines. If you've been doing a lot of work with these data sets, and they can be big, in terms of downloading them you may have exceeded your usage limits and are having your speeds throttled by your ISP. 

Any other slowdowns with internet streaming devices or issues?

nadiacm
Fluorite | Level 6
The tables are on my laptop. Even tables with 2 rows are taking more than 5min to open.
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Does your local SAS session have an autoexec file?

Does this file contain references to a remote server (libraries not on the C: drive , signon)?

Does your local config file reference remote locations for some files (like macro libraries?

What happens when you start your local SAS session with no network connection?

nadiacm
Fluorite | Level 6

Does your local SAS session have an autoexec file?

A: I don't know where to look at for it.

Does this file contain references to a remote server (libraries not on the C: drive , signon)?

A: No, my libraries are at my C: drive.

Does your local config file reference remote locations for some files (like macro libraries?

No

What happens when you start your local SAS session with no network connection?

It's much faster without internet. Why is that happening?

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Your local SAS session references some remote resources on a very slow link.

You have to find out what is referenced.

You could run proc options  and look for remote paths.

nadiacm
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you!

How can I do that? I have never used proc options before.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

It's a complex syntax, brace yourself.

proc options; run;

Smiley Wink

Then check the log.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 6 in conversation