BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
persephone3
Calcite | Level 5

Greetings,
I am using an unnamed pipe access method and filevar option to read multiple files from a directory. The directory letter in my macro variable (P) is not the directory the error message (C hard-drive) references. Why isn't the filevar option pointing to the indicated directory? I can run a directory list using the filename statement, so the pipe is working correctly.
Thanks in advance for your review.

ERROR MESSAGE - " Physical file does not exist, C:\Documents and Settings\....txt.

CODE

%let my_dir = P:\PCP\Data\from_JMG;
filename indata pipe "dir ""%unquote(&my_dir.*.txt)"" /b";
data JMG;
lenght fil2read $256;

infile indata ;
input f2r $60.;
fil2read='&my_dir'||f2r;
infile __test filevar=fil2read truncover end=done;
do while (not done);
input Member__ $1.
Alternate_Member__ $7. Subscr__ $50. Medicare_Id $14. Medicaid_Id $10.
Mem_Last_Name $90. Mem_First_Name $90. Mem_Initial $7. Mem_DOB mmddyy10. PCP_Sys_ID best32.
Do_Not_Verify $1. PCP_Att__Method best32. Verify_Date yymmdd10. Prov_NPI best32. Prov_Last_Name $16.
Prov_First_Name $10. Prov_Initial $1. Practice_NPI $10. Practice_Name $52. Comments $74.
Plan_ID best32. Plan_Name $20. Finacial_Class $17. ;
output;
end;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Did the path work correctly before attempting the macro variable subsitution? I think that the way you construct your macro variable you need a "\" at the end.

%let my_dir = P:\PCP\Data\from_JMG\; If you are trying to get a listing of the text files in directory from_JMG.

Otherwise your are looking for files P:\PCP\Data\from_JMG*.Txt  which would be files starting with from_JMG in Folder Data.

Also this:

fil2read='&my_dir'||f2r;

may not be resolving the way you want. If F2R values are less than 60 characters the contcatenated value of Fil2Read will have possible many spaces between the UNRESOLVED value &My_DIR and the FR2 text. This would result in an invalid variable name if that's what you are attempting.

As a minimum Fil2Read="&my_dir"||Strip(F2r); is probably needed. Macro variable must be between double quotes to resolve.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

Did the path work correctly before attempting the macro variable subsitution? I think that the way you construct your macro variable you need a "\" at the end.

%let my_dir = P:\PCP\Data\from_JMG\; If you are trying to get a listing of the text files in directory from_JMG.

Otherwise your are looking for files P:\PCP\Data\from_JMG*.Txt  which would be files starting with from_JMG in Folder Data.

Also this:

fil2read='&my_dir'||f2r;

may not be resolving the way you want. If F2R values are less than 60 characters the contcatenated value of Fil2Read will have possible many spaces between the UNRESOLVED value &My_DIR and the FR2 text. This would result in an invalid variable name if that's what you are attempting.

As a minimum Fil2Read="&my_dir"||Strip(F2r); is probably needed. Macro variable must be between double quotes to resolve.

persephone3
Calcite | Level 5

I'm embarrased to say but it was simply a change from single to double quotes that was needed.  Thanks much for prompt response and resolution!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation