SAS 9.1.3 to SAS 9.4 Migration

Contributor

SAS 9.1.3 to SAS 9.4 Migration

Hi All,

Just wondering whether SAS code, etc can be migrated directly from SAS 9.1.3 to SAS 9.4?  Colleague of mine has suggest that we have to migrate to SAS 9.3 prior to migrating to SAS 9.4.

Many thanks

Graham Rice

Super Contributor

Re: SAS 9.1.3 to SAS 9.4 Migration

Most unlikely that you will need to get to 9.4 via 9.3.

SAS historically has placed great store in backwards compatibility and code that ran in versions 5 (or older) and up would run in the latest version, albeit possibly less elegantly than code taking advantage of the latest version.  See Proc Explode for an example, not part of the current lineup but still provided for backwards compatibility.

Check out the "What's new" in the documentation to see what changes have been made, where anything that might affect migration should be flagged.

In a production environment you would of course do a regression test on your existing code.  In a user environment if you have the luxury of testing on a different machine, use it.  Otherwise it should be safe to go straight to installation.  In the worst case you might have to back out and reinstall an earlier version but the likelihood of this is very slim.

Richard

Super User

Check this out:

http://support.sas.com/kb/50/282.html

The main problem, I understand, is using the SAS Migration Utility. However if you are not running a metadata server you don't need to run the utility and it might then be possible to go straight to 9.4. Best to check with SAS Tech Support in this case.

Respected Advisor

If it's SAS code and SAS code only then things will just work without changing anything. As soon as metadata is involved it's a different story and you will very likely need a "double hop". I also believe SAS EG projects need a "double hop" to migrate to the newest version.

If there are also mid-tier components involved then I'm even not sure if you can directly migrate from 9.1.3 to 9.3

9.1.3 is in-between a really old version (in the IT world). You probably should consider getting SAS involved for a migration assessment - especially if you need to migrate BI or SAS Solution components.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation