Running SAS 9.4 programs on SAS 9.2 (downgrade)

Contributor

Running SAS 9.4 programs on SAS 9.2 (downgrade)

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

So I have a question I am trying to figure out if my program written in SAS 9.4 would run on a system with SAS 9.2 installed, I do not have access to the SAS 9.2 system. Is there a quicker/easier way to check this without looking through the SAS 9.2 documentation one option/procedure/statement at a time?

Thanks

Esteemed Advisor

Re: Running SAS 9.4 programs on SAS 9.2 (downgrade)

Just run it and look if something fails. Inspect the log if any untoward NOTE appears.

Is probably the quickest way to find out without going through the code step by step.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Contributor

The issue is, I do not have SAS 9.2 on my system at all.

Grand Advisor

There isn't a straight forward method that I'm aware, you may want to contact Tech Support directly if they don't respond here.

There have been a lot of changes in graphics from 9.2 to 9.4 so if you have graphical output it's likely your code won't be transferable.

In addition, there's quite a few new, useful options in PROC SORT and Data Set options.

Esteemed Advisor

Is this a one time job, or will you continuously develop SAS programs for the 9.2 site?

It sounds like you are doing some kind of service for the 9.2 "customer", shouldn't they be able to provide you wit a 9.2 access, or make the 9.2 installation depot available for your to install it yourself? Which leads to the question of platforms (9.4 vs 9.2).

Data never sleeps
Contributor

Yeah this is pretty much the problem, I have suggested your approach. This was my first suggestion, just was curious to see if there was a simple solution

Thanks

Grand Advisor

craig159753 wrote:

Yeah this is pretty much the problem, I have suggested your approach. This was my first suggestion, just was curious to see if there was a simple solution

Thanks

This may not be as helpful as you might like but you could ensure that all of the datastep and procedure calls include a Run statement with the CANCEL option for the first a quick test. Still need a 9.2 enviroment but it may be the quickest way without harming anything.

The Cancel puts the steps and procedures into syntax checking mode so you'll get a log with any unknown syntax without actually executing things.

Cautions: data steps with DATALINES or DATALINES4 will execute. No effect on PROC DATASETS with the KILL option.

Respected Advisor

Show the program.

Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Do be aware that catalogs - formats, compiled macros etc. if compiled on a different bit operating system will not work on the other bit OS, e.g. 32bit wont work on 64 bit and vice versa.  This is a real annoyance, and is a very good reason to avoid the use of proprietary file formats.

SAS Employee

Here are the known file features that have been added in SAS 9.4 that are not compatible with earlier releases of SAS:

http://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/planning/files/forward.html

Five features are not compatible with SAS 9.2.

A separate issue is features in the SAS 9.4 programs that don't run, or run differently, in a SAS 9.2 session. Here are some of the obvious Base SAS issues: http://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/planning/software/programs.html . It would be a good idea to look at the What's New topics for SAS 9.3 and SAS 9.4 as well as the Guide to Software Updates.

This is not an automatic process. If you can identify some likely keywords, you might be able to scan the directories that contain your programs.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 8 in conversation