BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KevinC_
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to combine two sas datasets horizontally and i would like the new output file have columns placed in certain order.  I use RETAIN to set the order of the columns as shown below.  However, the output i get is not what I expected.  The column 'new_month' from in_file2 should be placed as the last column.  For the sake of simplying the discussion, i have listed the column names.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can list the columns in the desired order?  Thank you very much any any input ! Smiley Happy

Data new_file;

retain  _name  _step _m:  new_month;

set in_file1;

set in_file2;

run;

In_file1:

_Name  _Step _m1 _m2 _m3 .... _m11

In_file2:

new_month

Output:

_Name  _Step  new_month _m1 _m2 _m3 ... _m11

Desire Output:

_Name   _Step  _m1 _m2 _m3... _m11 new_month

3 REPLIES 3
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The whole purpose of using the RETAIN statement as a trick to re-order the variables is that it is the first place where the variables are referenced. So of course you cannot use a variable list using the : suffix because that will match existing names. But there are no existing names at that point.

Try

retain  _name  _step _m1-_m12  new_month;

Robert_Bardos
Fluorite | Level 6

You could construct a macro variable containing the list of the _m prefixed variables prior to the datastep and feed that list into the RETAIN statement.

Somewhat like

proc sql noprint ;

select name into :mlist separated by ' '

from dictionary.columns

where upcase(libname)='WORK'

and upcase(memname)='IN_FILE1'

and upcase(name) eqt '_M'

;

quit ;

data new_file ;

retain  _name  _step  &mlist  new_month;

/* rest of your code */

run ;

Unless I totally screwed up my tests (on z/OS, SAS 9.1.3) that should work.

(Caveat: due to cut/paste being restricted on my z/OS connection, I had to retype the above code by hand.)

Robert

Missing closing quote added after "='IN_FILE1" in SQL step. (Robert, 07dec2012:07:08 GMT+1)

KevinC_
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Robert and Tom for your input!  Both of your suggestions make great sense.  I will try them out when I get in.

Robert, thank you for manually typing the code in here.  Your input is greatly appreciated!  Thank you both Smiley Happy 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation