Restrict date to mm/dd/yyyy format from input csv file and flag other rows with diff format

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Restrict date to mm/dd/yyyy format from input csv file and flag other rows with diff format

Hello,

i have input file which i need to read and check the format of column in the file should be MM/DD/YYYY. If it is any other format like MM-DD-YYYY i need to flag it to remove it. What will be best possible solution?. i am using informat mmddyy10. but it reads both format which is expected.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-11-2017 02:30 PM
Super User

Re: Restrict date to mm/dd/yyyy format from input csv file and flag other rows with diff format

If you don't like the - then you may want to read the values as character first then search for  for any other character than / in the character value. If you data is consistetn then 

flag =  (index(characterdate,'/')=0 );

would set a flag of 1 for no / in the value.

then likely follow with

If flag=0 then datevalue = input(characterdate,mmddyy10.);

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎04-11-2017 02:30 PM
Super User

Re: Restrict date to mm/dd/yyyy format from input csv file and flag other rows with diff format

If you don't like the - then you may want to read the values as character first then search for  for any other character than / in the character value. If you data is consistetn then 

flag =  (index(characterdate,'/')=0 );

would set a flag of 1 for no / in the value.

then likely follow with

If flag=0 then datevalue = input(characterdate,mmddyy10.);

Trusted Advisor

data want;

infile ...;

input 

datex $10.

;

daten = input(datex, mmddyy10.);

IF daten = . or

substr(datex,3,1) ne '/' or

substr(datex,6,1) ne '/'

then flag = 1;

else flag = 0;

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation