BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

I have a query regarding the   Information Map studio. Is it possible to combine views and oracle tables as data source for sas information map studio?

Also how do you join multiple facts in an information map. I have read that SAS 9.3 Intelligent Query generator  helps in this.How do we use this to include multiple facts? Is there any other options?

Thanks in advance,

16 REPLIES 16
Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Appreciate any guidance regarding this.

Anand
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Sheeba,

Please follow the steps:

1) Create a Oracle librarry from Management console.

2) Add tables and views into that library.

3) At Information map studio use the libarary created in step 1) and use the tables & views and do what ever join u want to do.

Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks Anand...

Also do you know about joining multiple fact tables in an information map?

Anand
Calcite | Level 5

Sheeba,

Follow these steps to create joins.

1) Open the Information map studion and select the Libarry from Resource tab.

2) Click on + sign for the library and select tables & view and drag these object to next Design Tab.

2) Once required tables dragged into Design Tab click on Relationship Tab. You will see all dragged tables there as well.

4) Right click on first table and click Add Relationship. A new window will open which is very user friendly where you can create more than one joins based on your requiremnets.

Thanks

Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Anand,

Thank you but My question is not regarding the join of multiple dimensions. I am asking about joining the multiple facts in a schema

Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

To be precise, I would like to know how to solve the complexities of many to many join which arises as a result of multifact joins. Also about intelligent query generator

Anand
Calcite | Level 5

Sheeba,

I don't know how to join facts & dimension tables using Information map studio. Bur as per my understanding facts & dimesnions are nothing but our warehouse concepts and naming conventions to better understand. Here question is how SAS will understand that whether we are using fact or dimension tables, My understanding it will use both as a table.  So its on you how you are going to use facts & dimension tables.

For query generator, it is available in the last step of Information map studio.

Thanks

Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Anand,

Thank you for the reply...

But it is about the type of joins( one to many and many to many) that is how the difference comes...... and regarding the query generator , my question is about modifying the information map to accommodate snowflake schema( join= advanced). In the last step mentioned in information studio, the relationship is inserted and query is generated. Again my question is about SAS 9.3 Intelligent Query generator which is advanced feature...hope you got the question

Anand
Calcite | Level 5

Sheeba,

Sorry to say, but i haven't worked on SAS 9.3 Intelligent Query generator. You can check with following link which might be helpful

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings12/033-2012.pdf

Thanks

Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Anand,

No Problem..Thanks for you time and link shared.

I will update the forum once i have the answer.

Edgar
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Sheeba,

I have the same question. Did you already find an answer?

Regards,
Edgar

Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Edgar,

I didn't get a chance to implement it till now. but got the following information.

In SAS 9.3, the Intelligent Query generator can be activated in PROC INFOMAPS with a new option on the NEW

INFOMAP and UPDATE INFOMAP statements:

JOIN_MODEL=BASIC | ADVANCED

After setting JOIN_MODEL=ADVANCED for a new map in PROC INFOMAPS, a user can then continue constructing

the map with PROC INFOMAPS. The Intelligent Query generator is now invoked when querying from that map in

SAS 9.3.

update infomap "Name of InfoMap"

mappath="/Users/myUserID/My Folder"

description="Use new Query generator"

join_model=advanced;

save;

After updating an existing map with JOIN_MODEL=ADVANCED, a user can simply save the map and the Intelligent

Query generator is now invoked when querying from that map in SAS 9.3.

Hope this will help you out.

Regards,

Sheeba

Edgar
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Sheeba,

I've tried the same solution. However, it returned with an error like something (I don't know by heart, I am not in the office now) "Multipe data sets with same identifier".

I will let our IT forward it to TechSupport. Let's see what they come up with.

Let you know when I made it work.

Regards,
Edgar

Edgar
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Sheeba,

I've tried the solution and indeed it works.

After the update has been performed it is not possible to open the Information Map in Information Map Studio anymore, I've just updated a copy.

Although, now I do have an issue with role playing dimensions.

Regards,

Edgar

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation