BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
NR13
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi - I'm trying to read in a raw text file (.f03), that isn't delimited consistently throughout. I'm able to read it in using a proc import dbms=csv option, and it puts everything into one column. I essentially want to be able to pull 2 different statistics out of this entire file. Is there a way to scan the one variable to keep the stat that comes after "ESTIMATED PROPORTION CONSISTENTLY CLASSIFIED ="? This only appears once in the file.

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
data try;
    set testing;
    if find(var1,'estimated proportion consistently classified','i')>0 then do;
        value=scan(var1,-1)+0;
        output;
    end;
run;
--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Sure.

In a data step, use the FIND function to see if the line has ESTIMATED PROPORTION CONSISTENTLY CLASSIFIED

If so, then use the SCAN function to retrieve the last "word" which in this case is .875, convert character to numeric, then output to the data set.

--
Paige Miller
NR13
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you! Is there anyway you can give me a syntax example of what you're thinking? I'm having trouble getting the scan function to work without explicitly stating what that statistic is.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@NR13 wrote:

Thank you! Is there anyway you can give me a syntax example of what you're thinking? I'm having trouble getting the scan function to work without explicitly stating what that statistic is.

If the line of text has been found to have the desired text string of ESTIMATED PROPORTION CONSISTENTLY CLASSIFIED, then you can use the SCAN function like this (assuming we are not very creative and the text string is a variable named TEXTSTRING)

number = scan(textstring,-1);
--
Paige Miller
NR13
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm sorry - I know i'm probably doing something stupid. This is what I'm trying:

Data Try;
Set Testing;
Correct=Scan(find(Var1,"ESTIMATED PROPORTION CONSISTENTLY CLASSIFIED"),-1);
Run;

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
data try;
    set testing;
    if find(var1,'estimated proportion consistently classified','i')>0 then do;
        value=scan(var1,-1)+0;
        output;
    end;
run;
--
Paige Miller
NR13
Fluorite | Level 6

You're the best - thank you!!

ballardw
Super User

You can also use a column "pointer" based on the value of text. If the key text is not found then nothing would be read. Keep only the records with values. A raw example;

data junk;
   infile datalines missover;
   input @"Some text" x;
datalines;
Some text 123
No key text 456
893 Some text 333
;
run;

And to keep only records with the value:

data junk;
   infile datalines missover;
   input @"Some text" x;
   if x ne .;
datalines;
Some text 123
No key text 456
893 Some text 333
;
run;
LOVE_SAA
Obsidian | Level 7

I have below data in an input file. I want to scan using a key word in each line and then want the ouput as below

Input File:

Code 201 Created
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 08:30:56 GMT
Length: 150

Output:

Col1Col2Col3Col4
201Mon, 10 Sep 2018 08:30:56 GMTAsia, Singapore150

Col1: After Code, get the 3 digits

Col2: After "Date: " and till end

Col3: After "Location: " and till end

Col4: After "Length: " and till end

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation