Reading in data formatted differently.

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Reading in data formatted differently.

Hello, I am a student working on a project and I have come across a problem that I can't solve.

I am reading in data that deals with colleges and one of the variables is a ratio.

The problem is that the ratios were entered in two different ways, sometimes they were entered in the standard 'X : Y' format and other times they were simply entered as a decimal such as 1.75.

Is there a way to create an informat that will be able to read in the ratios along with the decimals? Thanks. 

Example: 

33 : 67

39 : 61

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎12-08-2016 10:50 AM
Trusted Advisor

Re: Reading in data formatted differently.

[ Edited ]

You can overcome the situation by reading the ratio in an alphanumeric temporary variable 

defined with informat $12, then code:

if indexc(temp_var,':')

then ratio = input(scan(temp_var,1,':'),best3.) / input(scan(temp_var,2,':'),best3.);

else ratio = input(temp_var, best12.9 );

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

As pasted there is some other character between the numerals and the : . Is that the actual case in your data? If so what is the character as you see it? Sometimes things pasted into the forum, especially from a non-plain text source such as EXCEL, acquire additional "stuff".

If this is a ratio such as 39:61 I would suspect that you want the division of 39/61 done, correct?

Occasional Contributor

I pasted from excel but I don't see anything else besides the decimal and the colon between numbers?

Yes that would be the end goal

Super User

It may be my work browser, Internet Explorer, but just looking at the pasted values there is a space between the colon and the digits on each side.

Copied and paste from the first post:

39 : 61

Typed:

39:61

Solution
‎12-08-2016 10:50 AM
Trusted Advisor

[ Edited ]

You can overcome the situation by reading the ratio in an alphanumeric temporary variable 

defined with informat $12, then code:

if indexc(temp_var,':')

then ratio = input(scan(temp_var,1,':'),best3.) / input(scan(temp_var,2,':'),best3.);

else ratio = input(temp_var, best12.9 );

Occasional Contributor

Thanks! It worked Smiley Happy

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation