BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jimtheobald
Calcite | Level 5

I have been asked to find out if SAS is capable of connecting to and reading from an encrypted non-SAS database if we have the encryption key.

4 REPLIES 4
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

How will you be connecting - ODBC driver for example.  On the connection string I should give the options of username and password e.g. in SQL passthrough:

proc sql;

connect to oracle (user="xyz" password="zyx" schema=...);

select * from connection to oracle (....);

disconnect from oracle;

quit;

You will also need SAS/Access licensed I believe.

jimtheobald
Calcite | Level 5

Are you saying that ODBC has to decrypt the data?  I am new at this so forgive me if I don't understand immediately.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

You'll have to clarify for me what "encrypted database" you are talking about.  Normally database's have access via drivers - ODBC is one type of driver.  This passes your credentials onto the database process which decrypts the information and returns it via the driver to the caller.  So, its a bit like a password protected zip file, except there is another layer, you put your credentials into the driver, the driver then passes it on and returns and found information.  Couple of interesting pages:

http://support.sas.com/software/products/odbc/

SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.2 for Relational Databases: Reference, Fourth Edition

SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.2 for Relational Databases: Reference, Fourth Edition

jimtheobald
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks very much.  I will look at these articles.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation