BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JI9
Calcite | Level 5 JI9
Calcite | Level 5

Is there any way for SAS to read HDF5 files?

5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

By looking at the file specification, I would advise to look for an alternative way rather then trying to import it using something like INFILE.

What system/SW produced the file?

Perhaps they offer an API, like a JDBC driver.

Data never sleeps
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Agree with Linus, when you find a program (phyton?) there could be a way to integrated using Xcmd.   XCMd is available? 

---->-- ja karman --<-----
JI9
Calcite | Level 5 JI9
Calcite | Level 5

There is an export tool in the HDF5 application that will output csv files.  And R has a package that reads HDF5.  But we still use SAS for data management and I was hoping to avoid the intermediary steps.  Jaap is right, though, I could use XCMD to call a Python or R routine.  Thank you for your help.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

There is a dump tool which will export the file to XML/ASCII if that helps:

HDF5/Tools API Specification

JI9
Calcite | Level 5 JI9
Calcite | Level 5

Yup, I believe that is the program R calls as part of the R package rhdf5.  The solution I've settled on is calling the h5dump function in R (which in turn calls the h5dump tool you linked to, I think) from Proc IML.  The bit64 package is also used because, at least in my case as I'm running 32-bit SAS 9.4, integer64 data types are created in R from the HDF5 files.  SAS does not recognize the integer64 data type on SAS 9.4 32-bit, maybe 64-bit would work.  Since I am getting integer counts from instruments, I was able to safely convert the integer64 data to regular integers before importing into SAS. Anyway, here is the code I've used and it appears to work.

proc iml;

submit / R;

library(rhdf5)

x <- h5dump("c:\\data\\Counts.h5",bit64conversion='bit64')

s <- do.call(cbind,x$Hist)

ss <- as.integer.integer64(s)

endsubmit;

run ImportMatrixFromR(ss,"ss");

*** Create data set work1 from the IML matrix ss. ***;

create work1 from ss;

append from ss;

close work1;

quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation