RSS Feed Not Showing Replies?

Accepted Solution Solved
PROC Star
Accepted Solution

Hi,

I used to monitor the SAS discussion forums via RSS (Google Reader) and only visited the site when I saw an interesting thread.  Since the switch to communities I have noticed the RSS feed seems to have gone awry.

I am using the feed URL http://communities.sas.com/community/feeds/allcontent?community=1&showProjectContent=false to watch "All Content / All Communities" but noticed it doesn't seem to be keeping up to date with the communities content. At first I thought it might have to do with logins so I browsed the feed URL in a different browser (where I have never logged in to communities) to see if there was an authentication error or an empty XML document.  That was not the problem. There was content in the feed.

I looked into it a bit more by comparing the RSS XML to the "Recent Posts" content on the main communities page.  The order of the items in the XML seem to match the order of the items in "Recent Posts". However, the RSS XML items only seemed to be showing the original post for the thread and not the new replies on the thread (the new replies that had caused the thread to be bumped up the "Recent Posts" list).  Now I didn't compare the entire XML feed, just the top few items so there could be something else going on, but it seems like a reasonable guess to me.  Scanning the communities content in Google Reader seems to confirm this too.  I can only see questions.  There are no replies.

Does anyone else monitor communities via RSS and notice the same oddities?   I have already spoken to 1 friend who is experiencing similar RSS woes so I know it's not just me Smiley Happy

Perhaps there is a different RSS feed that includes replies too?

Cheers

Paul

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎06-29-2011 08:06 AM
PROC Star

Hi Renee,

I just found an answer to the number of items question.  Google-ing jivesoftware and clearspace feeds I found a page that explained a few URL parameters and numItems can be used to request more items from the feed.  So if I subscribe to the following RSS URL it shows me the equivalent to the last 20 items from Recent Posts:

http://communities.sas.com/community/feeds/messages?community=1&numItems=20

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Paul

View solution in original post

All Replies
SAS Employee

Re: RSS Feed Not Showing Replies?

Hi Paul,

Thank you for providing all of this useful information.  We are in the process of tracking down several issues in the default RSS feeds.  I think the answer lies in which feed you subscribe to, but the pattern still eludes me a bit.  For example, following messages instead of threads makes a difference in what you see.

Keep the comments and details coming.  We are working to provide the interface and tools that work best for the majority of the Community users.  Your feedback is most helpful!

Update:  We have just made a change to the RSS feed settings.  Please post back if you notice changes -- good and bad

Thanks again.

Renee

Message was edited by: ForumAdmin@sas

PROC Star

Hi Renee,

Thanks for your reply.  It prompted me to check out a few other feed URLs and I found the following one which shows messages and replies in the same reverse chronological order as seen on the Recent Posts on the main page.

http://communities.sas.com/community/feeds/messages?community=1

... so that solves that particular issue I think.

I also noticed that it only shows the last 10 items.  Is it possible to increase this count? Either by default or through a URL parameter? I know that Google Reader only checks the feed about once an hour so I wonder if there are more than 10 posts in an hour whether I might miss things? ... and I don't want to miss anything Smiley Happy

BTW I just rechecked the allcontent feed and it still seems to be showing questions only. Not sure if the update you mentioned was supposed to have change anything with that feed... but the messages feed seems to be the one I want anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Paul

Solution
‎06-29-2011 08:06 AM
PROC Star

Hi Renee,

I just found an answer to the number of items question.  Google-ing jivesoftware and clearspace feeds I found a page that explained a few URL parameters and numItems can be used to request more items from the feed.  So if I subscribe to the following RSS URL it shows me the equivalent to the last 20 items from Recent Posts:

http://communities.sas.com/community/feeds/messages?community=1&numItems=20

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Paul

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation