BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ram4sas
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

As a SAS admin i am wondering to know how to restirct metadata user accessing oracle DB tables using libname statement in EG.

suppose I have SAS EBI system, created Oracle library set up done and applied read permission for user A and Deny permission for user B.

But i wanna make sure the user B access the oracle table using libname stamenet.

libname oralib oracle path=oratest1 scott=test user=test pw=test;

how to restrict this?

Thanks,

Ram

6 REPLIES 6
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If a user can write and run code, there is no way to restrict which code can be run. You need to restrict access in the DBMS or (for SAS libraries) in the operating system.

Ram4sas
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Kurt,

System is configured with forecast studio, EG and SAS Studio. How can user B execute libname statement in EG without having oracle log in ID and PW? B should know ID & PW to add into libname statement i guess like libname Oralib Oracle path='test' user='test' pw='testpw';

Thanks,

Ram

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If a user doesn't have (or know) credentials for the database, he/she can't set a libname to the database. Problem solved.

If said user has (or knows) credentials for the database, and can write and execute user-written SAS code (which allows non-metadata driven access), then I see no way to prevent him/her from succesfully defining a libname against the DB.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you are using a shared account in Oracle, keep it safe.

Register the Oracle schema in SAS metadata, and use metadata group membership to restrict the access.

If the Oracle logins are personal, no sense of restricting access, not at least in SAS.

Data never sleeps
Ram4sas
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Linus,

Yes, if i define schema & library for oracle in metadata with shared account and read permission to A and Deny permission to B.

how to restrict B user access to oracle DB tables using libname statement in EG?

Thanks,

Ram

i

Ram4sas
Fluorite | Level 6

thank you for all your reply..

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation