BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TimCampbell
Quartz | Level 8

set
Hi everyone.

We have a relatively new installation of SAS and some of our business users are asking if they are able to query SAS datasets from outside tools like PL/SQL developer or similar.

Aside from the obvious point that SAS will be much better at accessing it's own data and that they should be able to do whatever they like with the data using Enterprise Guide they still need a definitive answer to the question.

My guess (and hope!) is that they can't and will need to learn how to use the SAS tools properly but does anyone know if this is correct?

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TimCampbell
Quartz | Level 8

In the time since posting this, one of my colleagues (with obviously better google-fu than myself) has found this page this morning which suggests that it is possible using SAS/SHARE to set up an ODBC connection to the data on our SAS server.

http://www.sas.com/offices/europe/uk/support/sas-hints-tips/ht1.html

So it looks like I will now have to come up with some reasons as to why we shouldn't do it!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RichardinOz
Quartz | Level 8

Have you investigated the SAS Microsoft Office integration tools?  Business users can access SAS data from within Excel and other Office applications.

Another option is/(was?) the SAS Data viewer - a free Windows application which can be used to query sas data.  It's a bit clunky and I don't think it has seen much development since Version 8 but it is free.

The SAS data structure is proprietary so it is best to stick with the tools SAS provides

Richard

TimCampbell
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Richard,

I will have a look into the SAS Data viewer to see if it will work with out setup.

We do have the SAS plugin for Excel but again it isn't quite what the users were after.

Tim

TimCampbell
Quartz | Level 8

In the time since posting this, one of my colleagues (with obviously better google-fu than myself) has found this page this morning which suggests that it is possible using SAS/SHARE to set up an ODBC connection to the data on our SAS server.

http://www.sas.com/offices/europe/uk/support/sas-hints-tips/ht1.html

So it looks like I will now have to come up with some reasons as to why we shouldn't do it!

manojinpec
Obsidian | Level 7

you can also buy license for sas connection to that paricular database

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation