BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cbt2119
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi SAS Community,

I am working with a qualitative data question that asks about what a pediatric patient has been told about their diagnosis from their parent/caregiver. The question is open-ended, which means the responses differ greatly from patient-to-patient, but themes are present in the responses. I know there is software for analyzing this type of data and extracting themes, but I want to know if anyone knows a way to do it in SAS. 

For instance:

Variable: whysick

Question asked: What has the child been told about why he/she visits doctor?

Responses:

1000: "That he takes meds to be strong"  - Non-specific, with misinformation.

1001: "To help his blood cells fight sickness" - Non-specific, correct information.

1002: "For his *wrong diagnosis*" - Specific, misinformation.

1003: "For his *correct diagnosis*" - specific, correct information.

Any procedures or programs that would allow me sift through this type of information?

Thanks,

Cara

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

Do you have access to SAS text analytics tool?

cbt2119
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Thank you for your comment. Apologies for not specifying earlier. I don't believe we have access to that software - only to the basic SAS toolkit 9.4, SAS Enterprise Guide, SAS IML Studio 12.3 software. Is there a way to do this on these packages?

ballardw
Super User

Without the Text analytice you will end up having to provide the rules yourself. How many records are you talking about? If it is few hundred then it may be just as well to have someone familiar with the topic read them and assign flags for topics.

create something like this:

Response coding sheet

respondent

answer

Specific (1=yes 0=No)

Information (1=correct/0=incorrect)

Non-responsive X to remove

That he takes meds to be strong

To help his blood cells fight sickness

For his *wrong diagnosis*

For his *correct diagnosis*

Then you have someone mark the forme and then bring the respondent and code values into SAS and match merge the results.

If this is an open-ended response to a question that may have categorical answers already available then add  column(s) to indicate those as well.

Yes it's tedious and time consuming but maybe how to extract data from the question should have been considered at the start.

cbt2119
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I suspected that there wasn't an intuitive way to sift without access to Text Analytics and I'd have to manually code it. But thank you all for your input! 

Cara

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation